Finally Got A Nice Fly Rod

Jmo1685

Hey Guys ,

After much searching and looking around , I think I've finally found a nice (at least to me anyways) fly rod. It's a 2 piece , 8' Sage RPL 5wt. Spent an hour on the lawn today giving it a work out, and although I'm not an experienced fly fisher yet, I could just feel how nice and smooth the rod loaded and casted. Might take it down to my buddies bass pond this weeked with some Wooly Buggers I've tied and see if I can catch somethin.

I have an 1106 sage float rod. Its a power house for a light rod. Good luck, great choice for a fly rod. Im sure it will surve the purpose and get lots of use. Post the results!!

Thanks everyone ! :)

Hopefully I get a day to get out on the water ! Times kinda tight during the daylight hours now :( however , my nights have been spent spending more and more time on the vise. I'm trying to learn a new pattern every week, and so far it's been successful !

Will post the results if I manage to get out !

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys ,

After much searching and looking around , I think I've finally found a nice (at least to me anyways) fly rod. It's a 2 piece , 8' Sage RPL 5wt. Spent an hour on the lawn today giving it a work out, and although I'm not an experienced fly fisher yet, I could just feel how nice and smooth the rod loaded and casted. Might take it down to my buddies bass pond this weeked with some Wooly Buggers I've tied and see if I can catch somethin.

Congrats, and welcome to the obsesssion.

how is the new fly stick?

Haven't gotten out on the water (and probably won't this year). But I've been spending quite a bit of time over the last week or so casting on my lawn (got lots of acreage) and I have to say I'm really getting a feel for the rod. I've been slowly improving my distance. Next up is putting some Hula Hoops on the lawn to start working on my accuracy. I've had a few guys from the Trout Unlimited chapter I'm a part of offer to take me out in the spring and summer so hopefully I get to using the rod on the water then. Thanks for asking ! :)

sweet brother...keep casting--just make sure that you are perfecting the right technique-often people feel like they are doing it right but they arent loading the rod properly and will never see the distance that the ros is capable of-i am no pro just work alot on my cast..and always make sure the back cast stops as abruptly, when the line goes tight as the front--or you will lose energy and the line will curl up in fromt of you like a wounded lamb..hope to see you on the water soon

Archived