Carpet And Vinyl For Boat Floor..where's A Good Place To Buy?

canadianfcat

Well I already have my spring project .. I picked up a 97 Astro 20 FSX yesterday.

Over all sound boat but definately in need of some TLC.

So where is a good place to pick up marine vinyl for flooring and carpet?

Also anyone here reupholster seats?.. Shoot me a PM.

For flooring check out a company called compass flooring. I believe they are in mississauga. They market a product that you may have seen in transit buses, hospitals, and industrial. The great thing about this flooring is it comes in wide rolls, is very durable, comes in every colour under the sun, and is also anti - slip when its wet. So end of the day you have a seamless one piece floor that can be hosed clean of slime and fish. The other good feature is it can be welded with a heat tool. If you get your exact measurements they will cut you a one piece floor with no seams. Simply glue it down. Next time your in a hospital have a look....youll often see it folded up the wall like baseboard with no seams. Great stuff....had it in my boat. Any colour you want pretty much.

• 2 months later...

Hey Canfatcat....Commercial auto trim on Shaw in Welland sells the floor vinyl. Awesome stuff i used it on my floor and gunnels. GFot my carpet at Nichols in Fort Erie...hope this helps. Commercial also did my cushions. I also know soneone who might be able to help with the seats, I'll look for her number and you can check her out.

Hey Canfatcat....Commercial auto trim on Shaw in Welland sells the floor vinyl. Awesome stuff i used it on my floor and gunnels. GFot my carpet at Nichols in Fort Erie...hope this helps. Commercial also did my cushions. I also know soneone who might be able to help with the seats, I'll look for her number and you can check her out.

SIR Fish !! Nice to know you are still kicking ! Thanks for that info .....my boat needs new carpets and I want to use the vinyl . The grey carpet absorbs fish blood , stains , stinks and looks like crap . My neighbour changed his to vinyl and really likes it . Do they sell the adhesive for it Thom ?

I used this material in my 14 footer. Very easy to apply and looks/functions excellent. If you keep an eye on ebay you can get it for a steal including free shipping to a us address.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nautolex-Marine-Boat-Vinyl-Flooring-72-wide-SOLD-BY-THE-FOOT-MANY-COLOR-CHOICES-/370684084385

Markster that is what i have on my floor.Awesome stuff,so easy to work with. One tip though you better buy the good 3m spray on adhesive(special order) or it will lift in extreme heat. I am a trained flooring and carpet guy from way back . Canfatcat if you need some tips feel free to PM.

Hey Smerch long time no see. Freedom 53 is upon me.The coundown is on, 30 more days to go and then everyday is saturday !

Sirfishalot; congratulations on your pending retirement!

I agree with your adhesive recommendation. The key to any job like this is to research the product and prepare the substrate really well. I used the recommended glue (3 years ago) and i'm still very pleased with the results. Although its not a difficult job, you don't want to be repeating it every other year.

One recommendation i can offer up is to stay away from the home depot vinyl made for decks. Although I'm sure it can be made to work, you will be much happier with the nautolex. Its a whole different animal.

Ya Markster that's what I'm looking to put on the floor of my boat...Thanks!!...not a bad price either..I think places like Nichol's wants $16 a foot maybe more.

Then I'm going to carpet the decks and hatches .So a combination of flooring look to it.

My step Dad is a carpet layer (from way back ) too SFL so I'll be inlisting his help for the cutting.

Now any thoughts on carpet?..Should i spend the extra for proper marine?

IMO..spend the extra on proper carpet. easy to work with and match up. I did my first one with outdoor carpet ,it deteriorated way to fast and didn't adhere too long . Second one with proper marine carpet looks awsome and is durable.

Canadianfcat,

Sirfishalot is right on. Marine carpet is the way to go.

i used this carpet in my 26ft express cruiser. 20 oz is nice stuff because when you bend it around hatches and such there is enough plush in it that you don't see the backing. If you go with less dense carpet, this can be a problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-Grade-Carpet-20-oz-8-Custom-Length-Color-/320574941519?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4aa3c1694f&vxp=mtr

I bought 16 ft of it (8ft wide) for 140 bucks shipped to us address in sept.

Archived