Drifting Dalhousie in a boat

Action

Without getting into a long debated thread I have a Question.

Why are some shore anglers in Dalhousie have to be such @$$holes?

I've fished from shore in Dalhousie for years, never having a problem with any boats out there. I just boat a new boat and took it out to Dalhousie for the first time. Minding my own business I drifted it down the center of the drift along with about 5 other boats that were there. First drift some guy ( if your reading this you know who you are) starts calling me an @$$hole not bothering his fishing at all, as a matter of fact his line wasn't even in the water. A couple drifts later a guy fishing beside him casts right at us and gets tangled with my motor yalling at me to watch were i'm going. Are you guys like that because you don't have a boat or are you one of those losers that has to complain all the time. If you have a problem with me down there next time instead of casting 1 1/2 ounces of lead at my 20K boat, call me to shore and I'll face you like a man and see if we can settle this. Oher wise grow up and have some respect for all people.

Guest bigfishbass

very well said.... I have seen this today too.... some think that they own the water they throw their lines in and NO ONE ELSE is allowed within 20ft of them....I guess when your not catching fish.... you need something to do and vent your frustrations.... you make a good point.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

It's called combat fishing. You'd be better off going to Queenston,drifting the lower niagara or out on the Niagara Bar.

i dont have a boat and i do fish portD the reason some get mad is the boats run up to the dam in the middle cutting us off..if you have fished from shore you know how far we cast.. from shore i can cast 3/4 across now when a boat runs up the middle well he tends to spool me ...i dont know about you but braided line is not cheep and is not good for your end berings by the prop.. and if your drifting in a boat the best spot for you to start is just in front of the big boat docked there we catch most of our fish when our line is in that area anyway...so mabee now you understand.....its not like the shore guys can run up and down the river were stuck pretty much in one area...and when your there we cant fish. its pretty simple

That's why I don't fish there. There is so much water and fish but you guys gotta argue. We know you can cast 3/4 of the way across. We know there's fish 20 feet in front of you too. Guys are starting to yell at guys on the other side of shore for casting in the way. Get out the 20 foot rods and take each others eyes out with those slinky's while your at it.

The tension down there makes it uncomfortable to fish and you guys have garbage all over the place. Dropped in today with the little guy and before I got near the water, he was tripping on discarded tackle. There was piles of garbage 10 feet from a half empty can and the guys on the East side were almost rubbing elbows.

You guys gotta remember that were all going down there to enjoy ourselves and it's not a competition or a matter of having dinner on the table.

Relax or go somewhere else. If you feel the need to swear at someone, you really oughta just leave.

As a long time Port fisherman - i will throw my 3 cents in.

Its a matter of respect. Fish are all over the harbour. Lots of water for everyone to enjoy.

I dont have a problem with boat fisherman at all.

I only have a problem when they come and anchor unreasonably close to some shorefisherman who are allready there. Basically I see it as first come first served, but if boat anglers are gonna fish very close to shore wy waste the gas & trouble towing your rig & fish from shore wit us.

I love Port D its close to home (5 min car ride) and can b efished year round, however once salmon season hits I can not stand the place ...

I will admit I have casted a few at the boats, but thats only because you go over where my line is ALONG the shore line, boats in the middle I have no problem with. Also the people who fish from shore

I like my elbow room, if I barely have enough room in my spot to change a lure or get my net ready then THERE IS NO ROOM FOR YOU TO BE INBETWEEN ME AND WHOEVER IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ME

As well for the morons who will not take their line in when you have a fish on and the morons who drift fish, I have no problem with drift fishing BUT YOU DONT NEED TO BE 150 feet downstream where we tangle up

And the garbage as well, too bad timmy's doesnt give you return 10 empty cups and get a 1/2 price coffee or something

;):blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

IBC

Here is the answer to your problems. This comes up every year and it makes me sick for some of you to call yourslf SPORTSMAN. If you guys on shore would just wait 30 sec to let boat drift by you or make a short cast 'problem solved. Next on the guys fishing on the east side should go over to west side and vis versa that way you could throw your lines out 40 ft from wall and you would be in the same spot that you want to put your line ,leaving the centre for the boats??? Now for guys in the boats maybe you should slow down when you go up past big boat intead of half plane drawing so much water and catching the guys lines?

Everybody out there is there to enjoy them selfs so try chilling a little no one owns the water and the shore guys have no more rights then the boat guys and vis versa . ;)

I'm a Dalhousie newbee and have been fishing the harbour since last December. Still learning lots from some of the regulars, who kindly share info and techniques, like the older gentleman I met Saturday( Bob ).

I chatted with a couple other 'regulars' who were happy to tell me the size of weight they preffer, the drifts they try, etc.

I prefer not to think of all the shore guys as knobs( cuz I'm one of 'em )or all the boaters as knobs. I wave to the boaters and envy 'em a bit when they are fighting a fish and I am not.

Common sense and courtesy, something we learned as kids, is all too often forgotten when we're out fishing. Of all the times too!

Fortunately, I haven't witnessed the aggrevation that everyone is talking about in this thread so Dalhousie still remains a great fishing experience for me.

Now, if I can just start catching some fish!!!

PS.. Speaking of garbage.. What happened to all the garbage cans and the porta-potty on the West side??????

Garbage cans and outhouses are probably supplied by the city of st. catharines, often too many times garbage cans are tossed into the water (yes people cut the chains on them as well) or they rust to hell ...

if they are removed by people (drunks) too many times they will not replace them.

The outhouses are often a favorite of pyros ... the company that supplies them will stop servicing a site if they find them burned down on a regular basis or for that matter vandalized too much. As well they take them away for the winter most of the time.

And to give you an idea .... one of the sports parks in st. catharines wound up with no portapotty things for 1/2 the summer after 4 or 5 of them were torched in a two week span (the replacements for the replacements)

IBC

Thanks IBC, and that's too bad.

Noticed a lot of crap from old shoe soles, fishing line, rags, etc. left on the west pier and when I went to disgard the stuff, that's when I noticed the garbage cans were gone.

Too bad the city won't replace 'em. I'm sure the local politicians have blown money on worse things...

Was down there yesterday evening and watched for a bit.... everyone looks a little tense down there i think... kinda turns me off to fishing in that area....

I like to relax and not worry about someone being an ass while i'm fishing.... so i'll avoid it 'til it slows down a bit... then i'll have to get someone to "teach" me how to fish Port ;)

Guest bigfish1965

One of the reasons I don't fish daylight hours anymore...

remember shore guys...Dalhousie is a navigable harbour and falls under Federal Protection and as such boats have right of way. Time your casts and if you are in a boat and going slow enough to be following the 'No Wake' law, there should be no problems.

did you say roe? I've got 7 dozen sitting here ;) (2 dozen Salmon and 5 dozen brown trout- overkill? nahhh... :blahblah1:)

not sure what size weights or jigs to pick up, so i haven't.... gonna have to let me know what to get before we go so i can be somewhat prepared :blahblah1:

Guest Steelheader
I've got lots of jigs, you've got lots of roebags....I'm sure we can work something out. :blahblah1:

For basic roebags, just a typical live bait rig set up. Jigs are for exploring the wall and intercepting travelling fish. I'll take you to where I was on Saturday. Good spot to start.

1751[/snapback]

What on earth is Colonel Sanders doing there, Tommy? (your avatar). It's kinda freakin me out ;)

You mentioned jigs, and I saw you landed a nice brown this weekend jigging along the wall. What sort of jigs are you using? Do you make them yourself?

Guest cplummer

ok ancoring in the drift?? nobody is that stupid and if they were just add 1 ounce cannon ball to your rig n show them what the war of 1812 was like! muskett balls n all ;)

Guest bigfish1965

I've seen them anchor in there and wondered in they were trying to sink their boat. Anchoring in that current is a recipe for a Coast Guard call.

Guest Steelheader

There was a guy anchored right beside the buoy on Saturday morning. His boat was flopping around a fair bit, but it was a good size and didn't appear to be dangerous in any way. He wasn't bothering anyone. Call me a noob, but what's wrong with anchoring in the middle if the current is light?

I've been fishing port for 16 years but less and less every year.When I started fishing port there was no need to fire off the long bomb cast and there still is no need too!There are a ton of fish too be caught on the inside current edge. If there are no fish in tight how you explain all the fish that get caught off the rocks?For all the guys who fish the wall the harbour is wide enough for boats too drift you DON'T have too cast too alberts rest.

There is no reason why people need two cast 3/4 of the way across the harbour. I too use to take my boat their but it really didn't matter where you went their always seem to be some clown that wanted to see how close he could get to your boat. Now I only fish off of the rocks I will not fish off of that wall some days it's just impossible to fish because of everyone taking those country mile casts. PLenty of fish to be caught off of those current breaks infront of you. Lets just have a little respect for everyone and this place would be a better place to fish.

Guest cplummer

yeah i been fishing port for 20 years i have seen all the changes i used to build custom rods in st kitts but now the drift went for a poop with so many people fishing there now so i have not fished it in 5 years are u still banned from fishing the water falls on the west side? or tickets galore???

Well we've resorted to threating to put you where the fishes are. I'll see you guys around, maby some time after the salmon are gone. This is plain friggin idiocy. Hey after you morons have your war will the survivours please clean up the trash.

Thankyou and seeya...................Dan

Archived