Drifting Dalhousie in a boat

Action

Guest Steelheader

Maybe we should post some "river etiquette" signs around PortD, like they do at golf courses.

I think part of the problem is that there is no universally recognized standard of behavior. If there was, it would be easy to identify the idiots and self-regulate the problem.

I personally think boaters should respect the shore fishermen a bit more. That doesn't mean that people should be chucking lead at boats...the boats are allowed to be there and that's a terrible thing to do.

Shore fishermen are very limited to where and when they can fish. Boat fishermen have the whole season and lake to chase the fish. I spend a lot of time on the water and I like to give the shore guys a little extra space when it's there time to shine.

Guest Steelheader
I personally think boaters should respect the shore fishermen a bit more.  That doesn't mean that people should be chucking lead at boats...the boats are allowed to be there and that's a terrible thing to do.

Shore fishermen are very limited to where and when they can fish.  Boat fishermen have the whole season and lake to chase the fish.  I spend a lot of time on the water and I like to give the shore guys a little extra space when it's there time to shine.

1778[/snapback]

That's fairly noble of you Markus, but as a shore fisherman I don't think I should get any special consideration over boaters. Just because I'm limited to where I can fish doesn't mean the fellow who invested in a boat has to give me the right of way. I appreciate his courtesy, as he does mine, but there's no need for him to sacrifice his fishing experience. One might just as easily say that as a shore fisherman I should go down to the Niagara gorge and let the boats in PortD do their thing

The water at PortD is plenty wide. There is no need to cast into the middle of the river. I suspect it's only guys who are trying to prove a point who hit boats with lead...it's not that they really believe there are more fish out there.

Lets stop being so territorial, and drop the "us" vs "them" attitude. I've seen much more crowded situations than PortD where everyone gets along just fine. As a newcomer to this scene I really am rather shocked by this.

if someone aimed at my 20k boat they would be where the fish swim!!!ppl that know me know that ain't no lie ..  :-)

1756[/snapback]

I agree with cplummer.I,ll keep my fair distance but if line comes at my 17k boat they will see my boat right in front of them with one pissed off boater

Guest bigfish1965

. Don't cast all the way across when you know there are a million boats around and don't drive within normal casting distance when you see a bunch of shore fishermen around.

Simple.

I believe this thread has touched on all sane possbilities and we have seen both sides of the issue. We can all agree that BOTH sides need to be courteous and respectful.

Before the thread gets silly I am closing it.

Archived