Does Lower Gas Price = More Fishing Time For You?

fishfight

I did cut down on my fishing schedule past few years when gas was above $1. Coming from Toronto area and driving a 6 cylinder vehicle , then towing a boat as needed, and not taking home my catch, the monthly expense bill and time allocated to this addictive hobby ,did make me ponder if fishing weekly was all worth it after all.

Two months ago, my 1991 six cylinder NIssan maxima with 427,000km finally was forced to retire due to more parts need fixing, I end up getting rid of it, and paid $7000 for an immaculate condition 2009 gas efficient 125,000k low mileage four cylinder Hyundai Sonata for my wife. I reminded her that during my limited fishing day off, I will need the car to go far for my fishing trip.

With the lower gas price these days, I am definitely more entice to explore other areas for site seeing or for fishing purposes. Florida fishing.................here I come!

Ya,I drive a truck from Forterie up north so I might be more willing to shoot up North this year more.Only went 3 times last winter.Need a few carpoolers

My 1990 Chevy van & 2002 F150 (prefer N.A.vehicles) :) both have V/8 engines and average about 15 mpg on a tank . The price of gas won't deter me how much time I put on the water (mostly local) . I hope to do a few Quinte trips this year and gas prices will not determine whether I cut my time there . If I use the van , it will easily accommodate 6 people and all their gear which makes my 20 mpg = 120 mpg , and I feel safer in that tank than in an "efficient" sardine can on wheels . :D My old van still has a lot of years left in her ....no depreciation , cheap parts, good ride, cheap insurance (no collision) ....so gas costs are of no concern.

Great question! I own a Lund and a Triton. I've been blessed, I guess. Still, you have to factor in tires, maintenance/insurance (boat and trailer). I was just doing the math on gas to Virginia, in the spring. Price there, after exchange, is $1.99 CAN for a US gallon (right now). I would be towing the Triton/150XR6 (3-4 miles per gallon) down there. I'm getting to your question, now. I would be prepared to run further on the water with lower gas prices. For example, I would consider running twice as far to find fish and not be thinking about gas, the whole time. I know you're not supposed to if you own one of these gas guzzlers but I do. Plus, add the oil to these 2 strokes! So, more fishing time (?) or quality of fishing time (?) because you have the opportunity with these prices to explore more water. The Lund has a 115hp, 4 stroke and I can't ever remember thinking seriously about gas prices and I've owned it for around 15 years.

After I cut down on fishing here and there few years ago, I spent the money on my wife doing one to few days mini vacation across the border more often. No major spending or shopping, just site seeing and being together. Children are in university and in their early 20's, so I initiated for them to be more independent as well when parents were away.

This fishing hobby can be so addictive, I made conscious effort to control it. Many years back, I used to fish minimum 52-60 times a year, then as internet age gaves us the knowledge tool, more purchases of modern equipment seemed to be a must to up keep this hobby efficient, social media entice us more time needed to connect with many other fishing forum. Prior to the internet age, and lesser anglers on water, it was easier to catch fish due to fish being more abundant, my skill was so mediocre then, though no fishing forum and have to explore waters on trial and error basis, I remembered fishing was just a simple hobby, and way cheaper. These days............., there seem no end to learning, temptation to accumulate more toys, hoping to make our day more productive, resulting in some pressure of having to land our next big catch.

I still have my Tennis hobby to contend with, but it is way less time consuming, no need varieties of equipment, and just stay local.

the gas cost is not the thing that limits me. its the time im home and able to go. being that im a truckdriver im gone for 10 or 11 days at a time then home for 3 or 4 days before im gone again. it takes a day to get ready to go again and then dr appts and any other thing that needs to be done. but usally get 1 day out each time im home

anytime Bill. Last weekend to gilford 28milespergal

Who would ever have thought a Dodge truck , gas or diesel would lead the way to good mileage for the big beasts ! lol When it comes to the total costs of running a vehicle , I thing gas consumption is one of the smaller things to consider . Most newer vehicles today get much better mileage ,even though the gas has ethanol in it . Look at the bigger picture of buying a new vehicle , large or small .......$3-4000 in taxes (lots of gas there) ...depreciation ($30-40,000) gone in no time .....insurance (small cars can cost a bundle) ......and repairs ( lots of complicated electronics, etc) . It's nice to buy a brand new vehicle , if one can easily afford it ....and that would cut down the fishing trips on my budget , not the gas .

Archived