Antique Bamboo Fly Rod

iHasFish

Just purchased a mint condition 1940's Argus Arai bamboo fly rod. Never been used, the plastic is still on the cork. The kit includes 24 flies, nylon backing, mono, 3 different tips,scissors and some old bobbers.

It's not perfect though. The epoxy is quite brittle on the whole rod and there's a bit of warping from what looks like improper storage. Either way I'm super happy with it. I think it'll be my spring project to redo the eyes, epoxy and true up the pole. Unless you guys think I shouldn't touch it and keep it as a collector item.

20150225_132343.jpg

image hosting over 10mb

I would not touch that rod. Have you looked into the value of a set like that to a collector? There are plenty of bamboo rods out there that are in a more fishable condition.

That being said, it is a fishing rod, and is meant to be fished.....

You sure that is a fly rod???? Reel seat is on the wrong end of the handle and with the floats I bet it is to be used float fishing rod with a centrepin type reel.

edit: on second thought , it could be a combination fly/spin rod with a reverseable handle . Is there a ferrule on both ends of the handle?

I got a cpl old rods i was given a year ago r so believe one is bamboo and another is a fly rod not sure tho thinking of selling them not even sure what they r worth if anything at all.... i heard the problem with bamboo is it becomes very brital over the years and are easy to snap i would prob keep that in the box

You sure that is a fly rod???? Reel seat is on the wrong end of the handle and with the floats I bet it is to be used float fishing rod with a centrepin type reel.

edit: on second thought , it could be a combination fly/spin rod with a reverseable handle . Is there a ferrule on both ends of the handle?

Yeah, it's a combo. Just had it switched around.

Nice, Id say that would be a collectible for sure. Be a nice display setup in a fly shop.

There are collectors out there who would give you an appraisal, I'm sure. I agree that you should do nothing with it until you know for certain. Many antiques are more valuable "in situ" (the condition in which they were found). Any restoration work could well diminish the value.

I'm curious what cliff thinks. I want to rebuild this rod but I want to know if it's worth it first and if it will be fishable.

I researched the model a bit too and it's not much of a collector item. They were mass produced in Japan after WWII and sent all over the world.

I put it together and threw my antique reel on it and she feels sturdy. Quite heavy in the butt section and very whippie at the tip. It's not written on the rod but it feels like a #4 or #5

Thanks for all the input so far. Very helpful.

Archived