And So It Begins...

Jmo1685

Well I christened the carp rod today ! Armed with a can of corn & some old oats/corn mix from the freezer , I headed to Martindale to try the new spot I had been eye balling . There's only enough room there for 2-3 anglers , and the spot I wanted to use was "taken" by a goose , sitting on her nest of 6 extra large eggs ! That nest won't last long as it's fished often or a mink, etc. will eat those eggs . I chummed a spot about 10' away from her & tossed a line out ....only to have Daddy goose harassing me and observing lots of bottom gunk catching my line as it floated passed . Time to get out of here !! So , I headed to Jordan ... parking lot at the beacon was crammed full of vehicles & trailers ....lots of boats in the lake .

I stopped at Tim's to coffee up & headed to the harbour ....My two best spots were taken , so I picked a very shallow spot with about 20 inches of brackish water & chummed a spot close to shore , and waited .......Finally , after 90 minutes I got a nice hit & the battle was on ! It didn't do the long run in that very shallow water ,but fought hard , thrashing about near the surface for 5-6 minutes . ...my first 2015 carp . It weighed "about" 10 lbs....give or take a # or 2 . I forgot my carp net ....but had my pike net in the van and it did the job fine while I removed the hook in the bull rushes . Great day on the water , watching the vultures , hawks, cormorants& killdeer .

Ma goose wanted me to leave ......

SAM_5769.JPG

...picked up some garbage .... corn can , cups , & some line that was 10' from the goose ....

SAM_5772.JPG

and oh yes.....the "gold" :wub:

SAM_5783.JPG

Gorgeous fish Smerch ! I was also at the harbour that day, but on the other side of the outflow. Had a nice run, but nothing to set the hook over. I tried sending you a PM about carping, but I think your inbox is full.

Jordan bridge there is just a really nice spot to be. if you can mind the trash.

I had good luck there last year so I will spend some good days there for sure.

Gorgeous fish Smerch ! I was also at the harbour that day, but on the other side of the outflow. Had a nice run, but nothing to set the hook over. I tried sending you a PM about carping, but I think your inbox is full.

I just checked my inbox & it was full ....deleted everything ...ready to go now .Thanks ! I need to check more often , there's no alert when clicking on the pm's that shows your inbox is full .....

Im actually living in st catharines now, i just moved out here in the winter for work and thats why i figured i would post on the niagara site and see how/where people fish around here. I'll be testing my luck out again this weekend, and ps thanks for the tip on the green giant corn smerchly, I'll give it a shot, previously i was a firm beleiver in the no frills corn haha. we'll see if therees a difference :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice write up. YEAH! Spring is finally here.

I knew this SPRING weather would get you pumped Lorne ! We will have to do another "Jordan Carp-In" soon . :Gonefishing:

Archived