Kayak Carpin'

yakfish

Took out the kayak for a couple hours tonight. I had a can of corn in the truck so I figured I see if I could find some carp. I really wasn't very well equipped but I caught a couple fish and lost a half dozen or so more. Next time out I'll have the proper hooks and sinkers and maybe I'll have a better landing percentage. I also need to keep a stake out pole on the yak with me so I don't drift all over the lake. Didn't find any big ones but it was nice to get out and feel a tug on the line!

carp19_zpshxcoxvlu.jpg

carp2025_zps4nemrexl.jpg

Nice going....it looks like you had some action on the water today . ....looks like a good spot for cats too . My grass is loaded with worms tonight....should catch a few & have some fun with the ultra light for cats (brown bullheads)

Is the water not cold for you?

I see so many boats at the Jordan Harbour it drives me nuts I want to go out so bad! The water was very calm this morning.

How do you land the carp in the kayak? I will be doing more kayak carpin this year and I often wonder how I will handle a 20# mama in the kayak! Lip Grabber?

I made my own stake out pole from old snow shovel handle, long hardwood with a miter cut tip for plunging. Broom handles are even skinnier. I put it right in the rod holders.

I also invested in an anchor for the deep water. Works very well, no drift. Two anchors would be even nicer for the side-to-side movement.

I was fishing rivers this past winter. I never put the kayak away! The cold doesn't bother me. I wear a pair of chest waders to stay dry and just layer up underneath. The snow shovel is a great idea, I might have to try that. I used a net to land fish but this is my first year using a net in the yak.I've never had too much trouble landing fish by hand though. You can lip a carp! I've even landed a 50 inch musky by hand. The net makes the job easier though.

Went back to the mud puddle again tonight. Only caught one more small carp and a few yellow bellies. I didn't have any other runs either. There were fish all over the place, jumping, splashing, rooting around the bottom they just weren't interested on my corn I guess? They might be spawning which mean when thy are done this is going to be an awesome carp hole. Water temps were 60-65 degrees. Much warmer than I would have expected. The muddy water makes a huge difference holding heat.

YoungYakker, The waders aren't bad to move around in. I got them a size too big so I could layer up underneath them when the weather is real cold in the winter. I got the breathable type of waders. Neoprene waders get too hot wen the sun comes out especially this time of year.

carp1825_zps43cfephu.jpg

Forgot to mention when I first paddled up to the spot I planned on fishing, I found these two snappers locked in a battle over territory I guess? The one had the other in his mouth by the neck. Check out the video.

https://youtu.be/p9Qf3KBCNV8

I am going to have to do some research on breathable waders.
That's a funny video! I have never seen a turtle that big around here before!! Only the little ones!

I went back last night and again this afternoon for a couple hours. I think the spawn is beginning to wind down in this particular hole. I saw far fewer carp jumping and slashing around this afternoon than I have the 3 previous days. Today there were a lot more "tailing" fish. I'm taking this as a good sign. I didn't catch any carp just a couple small channel cats. I did hook up with a beast that was a lot of fun on my 7ft ultralight outfit. The fish made several long runs and just as he was tiring and I was getting him to the kayak the hook popped loose as I was reaching for my net that would have been too small anyway! This fish would have shattered my personal best carp that is still currently only 13#. I estimate this one to have been at least 15-18# I don't carry a scale with me much anymore, but I might have to start again. It would have been nice to get him on the measuring board though my board is only 30 inches and this fish would have easily maxed the board out. I'll get him next time!

I went for a quick fish today and got nothing. Not a sign of anything. Miserable wind though made me go home early. I think this cold front will dissuade them from biting me. I think next week after all this rain it will nice and calm and if its warm it might be time for the first kayak of the season for me. Hopefully will have something better to say at that point.

Let me know if you want to go get the yaks in the water sometime. As of now... most evenings I should be good to get out for a few hours before dark.

• 3 weeks later...

There were at least 100 carp in my sightline from the kayak today. Nothing would bite but im pretty sure there was some serious spawning going down. I had my stuff inside a school of them and they were not even bumping it..

Probably a couple weeks and they will start hitting more I imagine

it might also be time of day. where i am fishing it is the same, i have 100's of fish because the water is warmer then the rest of the area i am setting up around 6 after work but the bite does not start till around 8 and goes till after dark. on the 5th i was getting lifts about every 25 min

DSCF1599%20Large_zpsgsywjequ.jpg

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/dwc67/carpmay5_zpsdayfi7rc.mp4

That's a fattie! I caught my personal best a little more than a week ago. It was 34 inches and I estimate in the 2o pound range though I didn't have a scale with me. I couldn't keep it on the board long enough to get a good pic with the way it was thrashing around in the kayak. I like how you have enough room to lay your fish on the deck for you pic. I have foot pegs in the way that prevent me from being able to do the same.

Archived