Fish Guts

iron1951

You have great day perching with a couple of buddies on Lake Erie. Limits all around. You do the cleaning at your house. What do you do with the guts? I fill the green pail. But after a couple of days the smell overpowers the smell of manure I get from Wainfleet and the neighbours start to complain. No offense to the residents of Wainfleet, I really don't mind the smell.

What can you legally do with the guts so as not to offend the neighbours?

Yeah, they really stink. If I had a freezer to put them in I would. Saturday's guts faired ok, as I double bagged them and kept them out of the sun. Cooler weather is coming this week so bag them up! I have heard the garden thing before, as they are great fertilizer.

LT

I just take them to the river and dump them in and give the bucket a good washing at the same time.im sure all the river creatures eat it all. Nothing worse than a bucket of guts hanging around lol.

I would dump it in the W.river the cats /snapping turtles/and other fish will have it cleaned up in no time it's not a big deal

it's done all the time there is worse stuff in that water than fish guts all the crap from all the farms along the river

I don't believe there's any restrictions on returning fish offal to the water from which it originated. Some I know of actually encourage it as it is helping to perpetuate the food cycle.

An old-timer I used to know would chop it up and use it for chum.

When I catch a bunch of fish, we always place the guts in a several bags, so it does not leak, then I put the bag in the freezer until garbage day. Then it goes in the garbage frozen. By the time it thaws out, its is in the dump, or still in the garbage truck. which smells anyway.

Ven

I swear some of the garbage crew have near fainted when they have popped the lid off my garbage can in summer. I'll bury remains deep in my gardens in the fall allowing adequate time to properly decompose. Not going to bury it in spring or summer for a number of reasons. Not enough time for decomposition, don't want to disturb roots during the growing season, and don't want a horde of rodents in my yard destroying the gardens.

Archived