Fishing Alone... Boat Question.

MOE FISHIN

I grew up watching my dad leave to fish alone in the mornings when up north and never questioned it. I will fish occasionally alone now... but am now starting to question if this is a good idea.

Do you guys fish alone? What precautions do you take if you do?

Fish alone a lot as I work straight afternoons and go during the week. Wear my pfd when motoring full float suit when it's cold water and when my trolling motor is down I clip my remote on me so I can bring the boat back if need be. I let someone know where I'm leaving from and when I'm back to the dock. Check these out www.autotether.com

We may see new regs. making it mandatory to wear pfd's in boats .....even large boats like big cruisers . Anyone can fall overboard for various reasons on any size boat . I always wear one when in my boat alone or when conditions apply that I think I should wear it , like rough water , after dark , etc. .......I know I know , we are being regulated to death ....but that's what they are trying to avoid .....

Fish alone a lot as I work straight afternoons and go during the week. Wear my pfd when motoring full float suit when it's cold water and when my trolling motor is down I clip my remote on me so I can bring the boat back if need be. I let someone know where I'm leaving from and when I'm back to the dock. Check these out www.autotether.com

Well said!

-Wear PFD I attach mine to engine kill switch

-have a cell or radio, tell someone where your going & when your coming back.

-make sure you have all safety gear on boat, I have a flare gun just in case.

-if to have a trolling motor always clip to you just in case you slip off.

-bring water water water dydration can kill on boat! You may not relize how bad and pass out overboard and your done. So make sure your pee is clear then you have enough water in you.

-watch weather and be safe rather then take more casts.

We may see new regs. making it mandatory to wear pfd's in boats .....even large boats like big cruisers . Anyone can fall overboard for various reasons on any size boat . I always wear one when in my boat alone or when conditions apply that I think I should wear it , like rough water , after dark , etc. .......I know I know , we are being regulated to death ....but that's what they are trying to avoid .....

Several years back , NY State passed a law PFD's must be worn in boats under a certain size from Nov to Apr, I think it was, some who boats there regularly could probably fill in the details.

Several years back , NY State passed a law PFD's must be worn in boats under a certain size from Nov to Apr, I think it was, some who boats there regularly could probably fill in the details.

Your correct,

I kayak fish alone the majority of the time. I always have a PFD with me but I don't wear it unless I am on big water. basically if I can stand up in the water I don't bother with it. I do always carry my phone and let someone know where I am going to be and how long I will be there. Also keep a close eye on the weather. I do what I have to to feel safe, but I'm not paranoid about it.

I had a 1973 25 HP Johnson that didn't have a kill switch and it would start in gear. Got thrown out of the boat when the motor started in fast, luckily I wasn't alone in the boat that day and my partner was able to shut the motor off. I felt very lucky that day . taught me to always shift to neutral after stopping. If you have a kill switch attach it, if you don't have one consider getting one. I never wore a life jacket unless I had my kids with me then everyone wore one. If I was still boating I would own one of the self inflating PFD that have become the standard on most fishing shows.

Seen this posted on a site (thought it was this site) Cant remember which one Autotether Marine - Lanyard-Free Wireless Kill Switch .they cost $220 +15 shipping. Im looking to purchase one as i fish alone most of the time. Question is is a life worth the $235 ?

I fish alone, but always wear a PFD. Last year I fell out of my boat while jigging a weed bed on Rice Lake, PFD saved my life. A week later another fisherman drowned a mile away doing the same thing. He got tangled up in the weeds. A year earlier a jerk in a large inboard passed within 50 feet of me while I was jigging. I nearly fell in when I lost my balance, my road and reel weren't so lucky. Three hundred bucks down the drain. Looks like the slot size is working in Rice Lake, lots of Walleye being caught. About sixty percent have to be released because they're too small.

When I fish alone I usually wear a pfd while running with the kill swich lanyard on, I didin't do this on Saturday while fishing Skugog (went looking for Musky, got skunked)...

this thread has got me thinking about setting my priorites straight...

I believe the NYS regs say November 1 - April 1. I fish over there all winter and my fishing buddy and I wear our float suits.

Archived