A Couple Niagara River Questions

archman

We are going to come up and camp at Branches of Niagara campground next weekend. The kids had a blast there and caught a lot of fish in the pond. I would like to get out and fish the upper or lower in my kayak. I am pretty sure the moss will be bad. Is there any place I can go to get away from it? I will catch anything but prefer smallmouth.

We also like to do some hiking and I have been to Devils Hole state park. Any other recommendations for a good hike? I will probably have my rod with me as well on those hikes. We will have to stay on the American side.

I forgot to add if it's calm I wouldn't mind fishing out in front of the Fort. I just wondered if the moss is bad out there out of the current this time of year too.

If by the weekend of the 20th, then fishing should be pretty good in front of the Fort. Bass is open and they should still be in tight around the shoals and transitions.

As for the "river snot" there really is no escape, it might be everywhere. We were out last night and it was clean. Like really clean...12' VIS at 8PM last night.

Give me a PM, text or call when you get up here and I can give you a few spots where you may be able to escape the dreaded moss and will be more than suitable for kayaking as well.

I thought bass opened the 4th Saturday in June for zone 19? Isn't that the 27th this year?

Oh my apologies. I was thinking the fort meant our Fort over here. Thanks. I got a little excited hoping it was a week earlier.

I thought bass opened the 4th Saturday in June for zone 19? Isn't that the 27th this year?

I think he was referring to Fort Niagara in the Lower/Lake O - US Side, which is fully open the 3rd Sat.

I was noticing that today when I was driving back and forth to work. I live right near the Nichols boat ramp and have seen a blacked out ministry truck go by a few times. So hopefully that will help. At the very least it's a sharp looking truck. Haha

That's why I head to the states. The $55 licence (or whatever it is now) gives you a way longer bass season and potential to catch some trophies. I have yet to figure out why guys on the Canadian side would risk so much rather than spend so little to do it legally.

Not worth losing your boat, vehicle, gear over $55 or a bass.

I agree $50 for a NY state license...gives you all kinds of fishing options combined with your Ontario license. No brainer if you fish very often.

Since American have to pay more to fish the canadian side of Niagara river, I witness american boaters, without CA license, fishing our side of the water . There seemed to be more American water policeman monitoring their waters than CA MNR monitoring our waters.

After reading the map, the river is not always split in half US and half CA side. I do not know if one can get away stating to officer " I was fishing wrong side of the river, I presume half of Niagara river is american and half is Canadian waters."

Since American have to pay more to fish the canadian side of Niagara river, I witness american boaters, without CA license, fishing our side of the water . There seemed to be more American water policeman monitoring their waters than CA MNR monitoring our waters.

After reading the map, the river is not always split in half US and half CA side. I do not know if one can get away stating to officer " I was fishing wrong side of the river, I presume half of Niagara river is american and half is Canadian waters."

How do you know they don't have a license?

If you don't know where the International Boundaries are, then getting caught fishing illegally isn't your only problem. As an angler, its in your best interest to know the International Boundaries, International Laws (Customs and Boating Laws) and International Regs. I fish the US side a lot and so do other guys, I've never had an issue. Most US Anglers don't cross the boarder, not because of the cost, they don't need too -NY State early bass season. There are lots of US anglers that purchase ON Licences. It does really open up the water if you have both. You would now have a total fishable area of 684,000 square kilometres - Upper and Lower, US and Canada. That's a lot of water!

Since American have to pay more to fish the canadian side of Niagara river, I witness american boaters, without CA license, fishing our side of the water .

Pretty ridiculous statement bud, I wonder why you assume they are unlicensed.

You are required to know the waters you are navigating. Personally I would not want to take a chance, especially with how easily anyone can be detained under the idea of terrorism.

You are required to know the waters you are navigating. Personally I would not want to take a chance, especially with how easily anyone can be detained under the idea of terrorism.

I think that's a bit over the top. Be responsible and prepared and you won't have an issue.

Pretty ridiculous statement bud, I wonder why you assume they are unlicensed.

I asked them on two occasion on how much they had to pay for a Canadian license , one guy responded they never did buy one, and another said they assumed the area was still american side , and they said they never had any issue with their marine patrol.................. or I would be RIDICULOUS to presume they do not have a Canadian fishing license by posting this statement here!

I have a Canadian friend who came with me to fish the US side twice, and did not want to buy the US license twice,.........to my surprise after they had showed up ready to fish twice.

So my original statement was not ridiculous.............. just did not occur to me to elaborate in details! Causing others to assume as well!

I just fished the US side niagara river yesterday with two other guys, saw only two boats. Since three of us only landed less than 10 fish, we were little bit disappointed ,fish were not cooperative even if we saw tons of fish. all subtle bites. But we landed:

1. one four lber but skinny fish- it looks massive.

2. three 3-3.5 lber fish

3. 8 lb sheepheads.

4. lost two smaller musky- line broke

5. few 1-2 lber.

6. All fish we landed this year was not as fat as it was last year.

IMO- fishing should heat up and get better soon,

No minnows on site yet and water moss started to build up, but not yet heavy.

Water temp was 61 degrees

Water level at least 1ft higher than normal.

Lure used,- tubes and spoon.

water clarity-very clear.

Very few boat traffic over all to my surprise.

Not sure about the "no minnows" comment. I stood on the docks at the river yesterday and watched a huge school of what appeared to be cisco swim upriver. I watched for at least 5 minutes and the stream of fish did not stop. While scuba diving about a week ago i saw the same thing about 30 ft down. Huge schools of baitfish on their way Queenston bound. Not near as many gobies however.

Archived