Rods,reels & Line For Carp

smerchly

I have been experimenting (as usual) , using different rods ,reels & line . While using braids I have lost a few carp after a hard head shake . If I lessen the drag too much , the carp may head into formidable obstructions along the shore & will be lost . I changed the line on my 8' med.rod to 20# mono . There was a distinct softer feel to those head shakes . I may not hook as many fish unless using a bolt rig , but I enjoy the fight more . I used this rod & mono line for salmon back in the 80's and it worked fine . I have another rod , 10.5' with a softer tip that absorbs those hard shakes ....so it's a toss up which rod & line to use for carping . I'll be taking both rods on future trips ....good to have a spare rod handy for those tanks . :Gonefishing:

....I changed the line on my 8' med.rod to 20# mono . There was a distinct softer feel to those head shakes . I may not hook as many fish unless using a bolt rig , but I enjoy the fight more...

Funny that you mention that Smerch because I was just reading a book written by a British carp angler and he said how in most situations, he still prefers mono because of that very same reason; he hates jarring sensation of the fight on braid.

And when you think about it, isn't the fight the most enjoyable part of fishing.

I use a heavy braid I have a hard time cutting with a knife! So I am not concerned about rocks and other things snapping the line. I also use fluorocarbon to make my rigs because they are very strong and slightly stretchy and invisible. I hate worrying about the line snapping after losing multiple fish on light braid and mono. It works for me. The last thing I want to worry about when fighting a monster is having too light of line on my reel.

As far as reels and rods. 8 ft catfish rod real simple with a basic baitrunner reel with a big spool.. keeping it simple. I want to enjoy being out fishing so I always keep it simple.. plus I don't like to break down my rods so anything more than 8ft wont fit in the SUV.

I always break my rods down ....less chance of breaking them down into a 3 or 4 piece rod ..... B) ....and I can fit a 15' rod into my van fully extended ......I haven't lost a carp due to the line snapping , only by hard head shakes ......no straightened out/broken hooks or busted swivels either. I have yet to try the 12' carp rod in the lake , but will soon give it a try .

Mike .....yes the fight is what it is all about for any scrappy fish . You may catch the same fish a few times lol

I like to go light myself to have that's extra challenge. My favourite carp rod is a 7 ft ultra light with 10# seagar smackdown braid. As light and flexible as the rod is it absorbs the head shakes pretty well. And even a 4 pounder feels huge! I've landed carp up to 18 pounds on it this year. And it's been a blast! I'm also fishing from my kayak which adds another element to the challenge.

I've only been broke off once on it this year. But that was due to a bad knot that I should have re tied after the previous fish.

Archived