Comp.techs.....

smerchly

My wifes 6 year old laptop is toast ....mother board done . We picked up another laptop today at DF ...refirbed , one yr. warranty with windows 7 & they saved her pics & put them in the new one. We have a router (Linsky) to run the lap top . Problem is she forgot the pass word & can't get on line . They want $60 to give her the password ....might as well buy a new router . What is a good brand name to buy ? Are the D links good ?

Chris is right...just reset the router.Not knowing who your isp is most of them now supply router/cable modems with built in wireless technology.

The admin password may not have been changed from the default.

Try hooking up a cable instead of wireless and enter the ip address 192.168.1.1 into a browser.

That should bring you to the setup login page.

Leave user name blank and enter admin as password.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135561

Yup exactly what Chris said. I recently moved and had to do the same thing because I forgot my password after all those years of not having to use it.

The link Chris gave you pretty much explains it all.

The admin password may not have been changed from the default.

Try hooking up a cable instead of wireless and enter the ip address 192.168.1.1 into a browser.

That should bring you to the setup login page.

Leave user name blank and enter admin as password.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135561

Thanks for the info guys . The router is a Cisco as in the links photo . My son in law is much better at this stuff than I so we will get him to go through these steps . The router is a least 6 years old ,so maybe it's nearing the end of the line .....We have Cogeco & have a newer modem....maybe they would upgrade ours to the built in router . I'll let you know the final verdict when the lapper is up and running smoothly . B)

Archived