Minimum Hp To Access Devils Hole. Opinions?

steellee

Just curious what people's opinions are on the minimum HP needed to confidently get under the queenston/lewiston bridge and into Devils hole area. I've done it before in the 2 boats I've owned (70 hp 16ft tri-hull and 90 hp 18' deep V). Also seen jokers up there in a tin can with 9.9 haha. Thinking of buying a boat in next year or so in 16' 40-50hp range. Any thoughts or experiences?

Going up there scares the living begegees out of me, but the fishing is good

For me the bigger the better, 16ft boat a 50hp should do it but I would go with a 70 or 90 at times the water flow can get very very strong

Min 75 hp for safety.band at least a 17' wide boat. Some disregard safety and go up with less. Heard of many mishaps over tge years. This is my safety guidelinez only from experience.

Cliff couldn't agree with you more, that short trip can get hairy and if you need the hp to get you out of danger at least it is there. Sure you can do it in a 15hp or a 25 hp but if you get into trouble for whatever reason it is good to have the extra horses.

I went to devils hole with my 14.5 ft boat with a 25 hp.No problems now with the new lund that has a 150hp

. I have personally seen misshaps with that low oh hp and small of a boat. Some of the eddys open up and would swallow that boat. Your lucky.. I used to spend days and years on the river. Best to respect her.

Thanks for the replies. Trying to keep the package to a minimum for a variety of other reasons. I remember doing it in my old tri hull with 70hp and I felt confident but had passengers ready to jump overboard haha. My grandfather and a few other old timers I fished with told me of a guy who fished the WHIRLPOOL in early 80s in 14' regularly.

Parents just got a 16'5 deep V alumacraft with a 70 hp yamaha and a 55 thrust ipilot minn kota. It seems very similar to what most of the guides and regulars use up there in the fall. Whats the best way to learn how to navigate the powerplants and get into devils hole without paying to go on a guided trip? follow boats and see how they do it? I have learned alot from watching them from shore but I know its a whole new ballgame on the water.

They are in Ohio so they can only make a couple trips and it would be a shame to leave the boat at home and hit the lower from shore. Should newbies just stick to the artpark drift and follow the other boats? I really want to get them on some chinook this fall in the new boat. Can you pisck up good numbers of salmon in the artpark drift?

Archived