Old Fishing Gear

Jig Head

I was cleaning out my grandpa's basement, when I came across some old fishing stuff. Everything is in good condition, but I have no idea how well any of it performs or what anything is worth. I got the following:

-Garcia Mitchell 300 reel. A black reel with a locking lever thing that is used to lock and keep the bail open. The spool goes up and down when reeled. Also found a booklet that explains how to use it, what it's made of, all the parts of the reel, and how to repair it.

-Blanchard by Algonquin rod, (made in Canada), model number 1750. 7 feet in length. The rod is olive green in colour with bronze eyes. The rod I think is made of some sort of wood, and the handle is made of some sort of semi soft material.

-Playmaker rod (i think it says playmaker, cant make out forth letter) also made in Canada. 7 feet in length. The rod is bronze in colour with gold eyes. The handle is made of cork.

If anybody has any information about any of these, please let me know down below! :)^_^

Nothing wrong with those mitchell reels....they were, and still are a work horse reel.

Hang on to that old "300". I have several of them dating back to the mid '60's....AND.....I still use them. Awesome drag on them and will last longer than most modern reels. If you don't want to hang onto it..........you can PM me with a price.......................Daniel

One of the problems with the old Mitchell 300 is a weak spring on the bail . Maybe there are after market springs that are better quality . We made our own springs by wrapping some heavier wire around a small pipe and used vise grips to bend each end of the wire to match the old weak springs . ....caught a lot of fish on those old relics ! :Gonefishing:

I still have some of those old rods , still usable ....and I have plenty old old lures to use with them .

had my Mitchell 301 since I was 15 and now 51, It has a lot of miles and been rebuilt a couple times but still going.

I still have and occasionally use a 308 that I bought at that age , 65 now. A 301 was a leftie version of the 300 I believe.

Archived