Slipping Evinrude

fredfisher

My 15 hp evinrude starts and runs fine.my last trip north i was boating along and when i cranked the twist to full steam,it revved up like i just put it in neutral.I eased back on throttle and it went back into gear and i kept boatting along. Everytime after that..once i reached a certain speed/rpm, it would kick out or slip just like a cars clutch slipping with the high revs and no thrust.I changed my trim becasue i thought it was cavitating with no luck..i also changed the bottom end oil figuring it wouldnt help but couldnt hurt.i was right on that one. So now my boat goes a little quicker than trolling speed with not enough to plane.... Anyone?? Help???

Fredfisher

Not something you can fix yourself. Take your prop off, rubber insert in the prop itself. Have to take it in to marine shop and have a new hub pressed in. If you have a spare prop you can try that.

scribe a line on the prop body and nut. After running if the lines do not line up prop is slipping.

Yeh thats a good test to see for sure. Myself what i would do is buy a new prop if that is the case. Then have the hub pressed and keep as a spare. Ive had hubs pressed before on my 125 Evinrude only to have it fail again not far down the road. I cant see a new prop costing you huge money. Call an evinrude dealer for pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

A new prop for a 15hp can't be more than $120 taxes in if you need one. Should be lots out there online for sale..do a search you'll get one if thats what you need. Or borrow one from a friend for a test....good luck.

Archived