Catt

steellee

Anybody fish cattaraugus last few years on the Rez? Planning a trip this year and haven't been for probably 6-7 years. I m aware of the lead ban. How much is the Rez license these days? Also can you still purchase at the Seneca onestop? Do they still run out of licenses like they used too? Thanks in advance for any help

Yes, yes and yes...lol. Yearly license is still the same $45 expires Dec 31st. Single day is $25. And yes still the one stop, and yes they do still run out...lol. I think its wrong that the yearly for non resident runs out at Dec 31st.

Yes, yes and yes...lol. Yearly license is still the same $45 expires Dec 31st. Single day is $25. And yes still the one stop, and yes they do still run out...lol. I think its wrong that the yearly for non resident runs out at Dec 31st.

When I went (2 years ago). I was at the one stop and they said I couldn't buy the one day license. So I had to buy the full year.

http://www.kinzua-walleye.com/docs/SenecaFishLaws.pdf

Its a 3 day, my mistake. They still sell them, my buddy always buys that one saying hes never coming back...lol. $25.

I like the part where it says disabled person 50% or more $10. I wonder how they determine the 50%....otherwise I should only be paying $10 lol.

Getting to the point I almost don't want to go there anymore. What a lot of people don't realize when your on the reservation the rules change. You must be using non lead sinkers and have the package saying they are non lead. Its a $500 fine...and they do check, Ive been stopped several times. A good friend of mine had all 4 tires on his van slashed last year and had to get towed...by a reservation tow truck because another company he called off the reservation would not come in. Any native can ask to see your fishing license and you must show it to them as well. Total different rules over there...ive met some good people and some crazy ones toting shot guns right where you fish. Just be safe...trust nobody and try keep your car in sight. Most times your fine.

Thanks guys. At one time I fished it a few days a week for years and heard all the crazy stories too but never really had an issue myself. It ll be interesting to see how things have changed over the years

The rez is a mess this year. The gravel removal is out of control, and unfortunately the D.E.C doesn't have much say in the matter.

I had heard something about that. Are they dredging off the bottom? Route 5 is all plugged up with big tree logs a few weeks ago. The Dec stopped us on the Res last year doing a survey? Do they not have any say? Shame...

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty crazy what they've done with the gravel removal but most seem happy as its opened up some new water upstream of the cabbage patch. A lot of the water has changed over the years and a lot is exactly as I remember it

I find the catt changes every year. High water flooding re-shapes it a lot. With this rain i expect it to be a mess for a few weeks. I find thats half the problem is catching it right. Usually when its in around the 450 level im working. Dont take much to blow it out..and thats probably why the success rate is high. I took a run up to springville this fall...some nice water up that way and through zoar valley, but access is a problem. Lots of posted signs.

Have permission from land owner to fish the Catt in the Zoar valley area, thing is I don't know the first thing about that river. Whats an ideal flow to fish the Catt? and do you all go off the USGS station gauge in Gowanda? floating sacs/minnows pick them up?

That's what I have used. This past week was 250-300. My opinion is look for 200-500 max. Fish were around. If and when it drops back below 400 after this rain fishing should be top notch. Agreed it changes drastically every year which is why I was quite surprised to see some of my old favourite pools still in place after all these years. Other spots are completely different water as I remembered. Float fishing sacs is effective as are flies. Seen some guys just hammering them on spinners this past week too

Yep what steelee said...when its on the drop and gets in that range its going to be stacked. All your typical tactics work. I use bags or bead/bags or streamers all work for me. Catch it right and youll have sore arms. Its at 2600 now and chocolate. Be a while for it to drop ...when it does get there.

Archived