Old Gas

Tyler0420

i have a 20L steel tank filled with premixed gas for my boat. It's from last fall though. Would u guys run it? Hi or low speed? I don't even wanna run it really jus want the tank. What do u guys do with old gas besides burn or dump it.

Be careful where you use it . Today's high tech engines with EFI may not burn gas with oil mixed in . I would pour it slowly into another 20 liter gas can and dump the last liter which would have the water and other dirt in it . Then I would clean that container with a clean rag on a stick or wire and dump the old gas in and top it up with fresh gas ......that's if you intend on using it shortly .

• 4 weeks later...

Use a coffee filter paper(those you buy from dollarstore) on a funnel, and the siphon plastic tube also can be bought at dollarama, then filter the gas first to another clean gas container , ensure there are no gum deposit created from the old gas. Then put some fuel stabilizer or gas line additive, leave it for few days, then use it. You can also premix them with new gas after you had filtered them first. just to ensure no gum deposit were created from the stored old gas. Dump the last 10% old gas, while filtering them.

I used my old stored gas twice from previous year, two years in a row, but I filter my gas first just to ensure they were still fine. I did not even premix them with new fresh gas, the old gas from last season ran just fine, after no visible gum deposit on the filter. My old gas tank was stored indoor with at least 45 degree heat.

Due to potential rust, filter them twice to remove rusty particles. I had use steel rusty gas tank in the past, I filter and clean the gas tank every year before i used them for the season. Due to headache of filtering rusty boat gas can, I end up buying a new plastic one in US. Plastic gas tank of 25 L are cheap to buy in USA, I paid $35 that fits evinrude engine.

If a lot of thick gummy particles existed on the filter, they are not good anymore, that contaminated gas should be discarded.

I would not put any boat gas mix 50:1 in a vehicle. It might screw up the catalytic converter, and trigger the computer sensor.

Archived