2015 Canadian Tire Lake Erie Open October 10Th, 2015 Official Results

JayClay

2015 Canadian Tire Lake Erie Open October 10th, 2015 Official Results

For photos and coverage please visit https://www.facebook.com/ctcerieopen

On what couldn’t have been a more perfect fall day 75 boats with 150 of some of the best bass anglers from all over Ontario and New York blasted off from Chippawa, Ontario in search of some the giant and plentiful bass that Lake Erie and the Upper Niagara River have to offer. Despite a cold front moving in the night before, a calm lake Erie means that teams can access and move around from spot to spot with relative ease and cash in on the massive numbers or big bass that call Eastern lake Erie home. As the weigh in progressed it was very apparent that Erie did not disappoint. A total of 26 teams weighed in bags of their heaviest 5 fish in excess of 20 lbs which meant it was a complete shootout for the top positions. With the weights so close it was down to the last team weighing in before the winner would be declared. After the dust had settled Simon and Melanie Frost were raising the check above their heads. The husband and wife duo amassed a total of 25.23lbs to come out on top and add this win to an already impressive resume of tournament success. Simon and Mel finished the day $6700 richer. In a very close second place John Whyte and Matt Holland finished the day with 24.63lbs for $3250 and big fish honors with a 5.90lbs beast earning them an extra $1500 for a total of $4750. In third the duo of Matt Belzil and Jesse Stewart with 23.88lbs and a total of $2200.

This is the first year for the Canadian Tire Lake Erie open hosted by the St.Catharines Bassmasters and all involved are extremely pleased that the event sold out in the weeks leading up to the event with a long waiting list of some extremely talented anglers. This tournament is noted as “a tournament for the anglers” with the backing of Canadian Tire (Niagara Region Stores) and a solid lineup of sponsors including ATHENS PRINTING, SHIMANO CANADA, KAMOOKI, LIVE TARGET, PURE FISHING CANADA , LEWS, ROD GLOVE, ANGLERS CHOICE ,DIRTY PIG BBQ, NIAGARA OUTDOOR SHOW, SPRO, C-TOW NIAGARA, MOUNTAINVIEW HOMES. A total of over $24,000 in cash and prizes was awarded back to the anglers which totaled 146% of angler collected funds. Cash and or prizes were awarded to a total of 21 teams.

Winning Teams

PLACE, TEAM, # FISH, TOTAL WEIGHT, CASH, BIG FISH CASH, TOTAL WINNINGS,CONTINGENCY PRIZE
1 Simon Frost / Melanie Frost 5 5.11 25.23 $5,600.00 $6,700 SHIMANO CANADIAN TIRE
2 John Whyte / Matthew Holland 5 5.9 24.63 $3,150.00 $1,500 $4,750
3 Matt Belzil / Jesse Stewart 5 5.52 23.88 $2,100.00 $2,200
4 John Prokator / Kevin MacDonald5 5.75 23.76 $1,500.00 $1,600
5 Colin Hunter / Oliver Grigull 5 5.05 23.71 $1,200.00 $1,200
6 Neil Farlow / Tom Streek 5 0 23.7 $1,000.00 $1,000
7 Landon Klassen / Rick Besteman 5 5.46 23.29 $880.00 $880
8 Rob Campbell / Chris Buttigieg 5 5.06 22.74 $700.00 $200 $900 LEWS
9 Pete Bartonek / Morgan Cignini 5 0 22.58 $530.00 $530
10 Wayne Nelson / Chad Nelson 5 0 22.5 $350.00 $350
11 Mike Hauer / Drew Sokolowski 5 0 22.45 $290.00 $290
12 Danny Dunn / Victor Capobianco 5 5.29 22.41 $220.00 $220
13 Terry Monaghan / Tim Birch 5 0 22.28 $300 DIRTY PIG BBQ - 1ST OUT OF MONEY
14 Neil Deleeuw / Eric Farlow 5 0 21.93 $300 LIVE TARGET - 2ND OUT OF MONEY
15 Larry Mazur / Lisa Maly 71 5 5.37 21.92 $300 KAMOOKI - 3RD OUT OF MONEY
16 Josh Brouwer / Harry Brouwer 5 5.22 21.89 $150 SPRO - 4TH OUT OF MONEY
17 Matt Merla / Silvio Rea 5 0 21.71 $150 ROD GLOVE - 5TH OUT OF MONEY
20 Perry Poirier / Don Hogenkamp 5 5.42 21.4 $150 ANGLERS CHOICE
25 Kim Poirer / Roy Young 5 5.52 20.52 $150 NIAGARA OUTDOOR SHOW
30 Landon Wieske / Kevin Hordyk 5 5.11 19.76 $100 C-TOW NIAGARA
54 Dave Mack / Steven King 5 0 13.4 $1,500 PURE FISHING - MYSTERY WEIGHT
56 Walter Adams / Tyler McGill 5 0 13.25 $450 CANADIAN TIRE - SMALLEST 5 FISH LIMIT

Notables
• $500 Shimano Gift Card Contingency Prize for the top team wearing Shimano Hats on stage went to Simon and Melanie Frost
• $500 Canadian Tire Gift Card Contingency for top team spending $50 at CT went to Simon and Melanie Frost
• 2 Lews rods for the Top Team bringing a lews product to stage went to Rob Campbell and Chris Buttigieg
• $1500 Pure Fishing Mystery Weight prize was awarded to Dave Mack / Steven King who were closest to the weight (55% of winning weight) without going over.
• $450 Canadian Tire Prize pack for the smallest 5 fish limit went to Walter Adams / Tyler McGill

Wow ! Some nice prizes there and congrats to the big winners ! It looks like this competition was a huge success and the weather was nice for everyone to enjoy .

Thanks for posting the link ......and the fizzing of the bass was very informative , I'm sure I could master it if needed .

And oh yes .......some real nice bass there ....real fatties !! :Gonefishing:

What a great event! Kudos to organizers, sponsors, volunteers and anglers. We finished 45th in a field of 75 teams. Here was our day. Started on the Canadian side of Lake Erie with no luck. Off to the US side, where fishing was tough, too. A little bumpy on the way over. We were in the 3rd flight that blasted off. By the time we arrived on the US side, all my boater's good spots were occupied. We tried a few areas but no fish. Weren't seeing much on the electronics, either. Finally, my boater sees a fish, drops to it and he gets our first fish. He dropped to another fish and we got that one. He got another fish, inadvertently, too. I was starting to feel pretty useless, at this point. However, I realized my netting skills were being fine-tuned (lol). Not much wind so I was casting dropshots or tubes as far from the boat as possible and retrieving. Only 3 fish in the livewell, though. We made a decision to go back to the Canadian side. Didn't take long, once there, and I hooked into a bigger fish which we landed...5.24lbs! That got the adrenalin going! We finished the drift and went back to try it, again. You know, where there's one big fish, there's more. On the second drift, I caught a 13" dink (minimum length). So much for the aforementioned theory. We fished that drift a few more times with no luck.Tried a couple more spots but nothing materialized. We couldn't get rid of the dink, unfortunately. All of our fish were caught in 32 feet of water or deeper. I fished the day in a 21' Triton with a 250hp (nice ride!)...70mph on the way back, down the Niagara...WOW!!! I don't fish a lot of events, like this. For me, it was worth the money. Gas was $100 for the day ($50 each...hi-test gas, oil and ethanol treatment). I think we travelled at least 60 miles.

Our day went something like this.

My partner John Prokator and I fished US waters all day. It was a grind the first two hours. With no wind we were moving around dropping down on them when marking them with no luck. Our second spot produced some decent fish. We didn't rail them like some of the guys around us (30-40) but managed around 20 on the day. 5 of those fish were good enough to take 4th overall with 23.76lbs anchored by a 5.75. Big fish of the tournament was 5.90.

We hope this tournament becomes a premier annual event for the area! We had great feedback from everyone and look forward to seeing you next year Bill.

The teams listed are those who won money and prizes...shows sponsors, too. I think you can check out the link at the top to see the teams that 'donated'. Unfortunately, we were one of those teams.

Thanks Bill for helping to clarify! Yes the teams listed are those who won prizes. The full results are listed on the Facebook page along with all the photos and additional coverage. A great article written by John Whyte of "time on the water Canada" is also on the facebook page and other various sites. A full page write up was also in the Standard this past Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/ctcerieopen

• 2 weeks later...

smallie%20big%201_zpscq9lgujd.jpgcaught this 'badboy', yesterday. This is the kicker we needed to replace the 13" dink that I mentioned in an earlier post...oh, well. Fish were few but it was a great day on the water.

Archived