Audio Buffs

smerchly

Well ....my old 35 yr. old Kenwood receiver & 20 button equalizer bit the dust . I got a new Sony receiver (cheapy) from Best Buy & spent 2 hrs. trying to get some noise out of it ! Finally , I got some sound by cranking up the volume to #20 on the digi screen ! BUT , nothing from my phono player . (CD's play fine ) . I finally went on line & found there is NO PHONO JACKS on this receiver.....I need to buy a pre amp or a new turntable . Went back to the store ....they don't have a pre amp for this ! Back on line ....Hamilton best buy has pre amps for this receiver .....Back to the store , talked to "Eric" who really knows his stuff .......ordered one for me from their Brampton warehouse . He said it should work better than buying a new cheap Sony turntable with a cheap cartridge .

any gurus here that can comment on this stuff ?

Thats the problem with the shift to digital audio.

Preamp will solve the problem but your best bet is older equipment. I run my tv through a 60s marantz. I may not get 5.1 or whatever the kids get today but with a flip of the switch i have vinyl. I only have cds in my vehicle.

Archived