Welland River Access Closed?

boogaloo

I went for a ride down Chippewa park way and noticed a fence has been put up all the way along the river from Chippewa to the Hydro canal. WTF???? A locked gate is across the entrance to the boat launch as well................................Daniel

Guest brookie slayer

A rowing club has most of that side. Further down there is a launch that's open the odd Saturday.

I think. But its pretty sketchy. Fence has been up for a good 3 or 4 months at least. Too many late night

bonfire parties didn't help. Cops were down there all the time.

My wife is a Chippawa girl who belongs to the Facebook group who live there both passed & present .... . And yes , the bon fires , boozing and garbage did not help ......

Stopped by the Stanley Av. bridge a couple weeks ago. Could not believe the amount of garbage! Must have been at least a dozen bags of garbage and a tarp someone dragged there full of roof shingles! Disgusting!

Way to much garbage being dumped and Chinese investers bought alot of the land down there for condos. Launch on the other side at end of sodom? I dunno if the one on the other side of stanley bridge at the old king waldorfs is still accessible?

Used to ride my bike and fish and swim along there. People were using this as a dumping grounds. Cheaper to put up a 3 mile fence then to clean up the place on a regular basis. They call it a parkway, but now there is no access to the water. A shame for the jetski owners who pulled up along the river and had a good time. Dufferin Islands, Kings Bridge Park swimming area, now this. Kids just stay in and play computer games.

In some cases it's the anglers themselves who leave their junk behind , therefore shutting it down to anglers is justified . In other cases it's the party people , visitors, or careless walkers tossing their garbage anywhere they please that gets fences put up .

It's too bad for those of us who have respect for our environment and other people's property. As has been said , a fence is the cheapest way to fix the problem. Years ago the cities hired people to clean the parks and streets . I haven't even read about anyone being fined for littering .....and the beat goes on ....... :wall:

Archived