Martindale Pond

ngoufei

I work in Martindale area so I usually spend 15-30mins fishing there after work and take my family there for a walk during weekends. I keep 2-3 small carps or channel cats every year because I have a little pond in my backyard and my kid enjoys watching them.

Today I went there fishing as usual then I saw 3 people fishing there and they slammed something big on the ground. I wasn't sure what that is until I walked close because I saw them kicking that thing like a soccer. It was a 1 foot long turtle and it seemed dead already. They kicked the turtle into water when I was checking if the turtle's alive. I wanted to talk to them but they speak a language that I don't understand. If someone see those guys and know their language please tell them it is not a good idea to torture a turtle to death and throw it back to the water.

Last thing is, channel catfish is active. Landed 3 in 2 days they were all around 10 lbs.

No it's not but no one is going to come knocking and give him grief for it.

Yea your right, they take the invasive species thing pretty easy these day....

Been stopped with the boat on the trailer reason for the stop. Checking for transporting live fish.

Channel cats eat a lot and grow fast i usually give them to someone who eats it after a few months keeping in my pond. Transporting live fish is prohibited to prevent the introduction of native species into new water or the spread of invasive fish.

I don't release fish back to any water after a few months so I always give them to someone who eats it (none of my family members likes eating fish). Well I don't think I'm doing any harm to native water of fish species. While so many people out there get spawn out of a salmon or trout and use it in some other water, I don't think what I did is worse.

If someone tells me where to buy fish and keep them in a pond rather than an aquarium legally you reply is greatly appreciated otherwise I would like to pay the fine to keep some tiny fish for the kid since what I did is really not doing harm to native water.

By the way it seems you guys focus more on transporting a fish which is not going to any water rather than torturing a turtle to death.

Keeping carp and channel cat alive to bring home isn't exactly legal either

Speaking for myself , I have kept many species of fish for the table that were kept alive in a fishing basket or pail of water while fishing in order to be fresh for cleaning & eating, etc.So many were still alive when they reached my laundry tub , especially the perch during the ice season . Am I breaking the law ? Many anglers from other countries want to take live fish home . I saw people at Jordan with many carp on their stringers & they put over a dozen in large bags when they left . ( maybe to sell) ? I mounted a huge carp ,many years ago that was caught at Pigeon L. & came to life when put in the kids pool , after that long trip . If the rules say we must not transport any species alive then I must kill them before putting the pail of fish in my vehicle ...... except minnows.

When it comes to invasive species , the elephant in the lake is world trade . That will be our biggest threat for years to come .

...WTG ngoufei , nice channels , I haven't had any luck yet , only been catching bullheads so far . I have some pond chubs that I have seen work well in the Welland R. The cats are attracted to these frisky critters and will slam them ! As for the people kicking the turtle ....I would have pictures (video) on my camera & a shot (vid) of the car/license plate & report it . Too many out there that haven't a clue about regs or what a garbage pail is for , yet they can easily get a license . That is the governments fault .

I've done research towards aquaponics and found many sites that will sell you fingerling catfish or many other species by the hundred or even sometimes as low as 25. If you have a big enough pond might I suggest googling "catfish fingerlings for sale to Canada" and just double check with our provincial laws to make sure you don't get slapped with a major fine. I'm more worried about fisherman getting a bad name than you being fined for transporting a single live catfish or carp. You don't appear to be keeping anywhere near a set limit so you can't be doing any kind of substantial damage. Nothing a good spawn won't fix anyway.

Archived