A Couple From Wednesday

frog088

Where's the piggies ? ..... New format here , lets give it a try .....

Got out for a few hours this morning , looking for carp at Jordan .MNR boat was busy collecting fish specimens & releasing many  small fish  . I set up my carp rod & rigged up with can corn with a single piece of plastic/rubber corn on a hair rig....1/4 oz. egg sinker & decided to try the shallower 4' deep spots today. First carp came in about 30 minutes , weighing 13.5 lbs . ...not a great fight , but it didn't want to concede to the net . The second one was a screamer , hit while I was having a leak ! SOB ! ....good thing I had the back drag set on the bait runner !  It peeled out a lot of line and was surprisingly strong for a 16 lb. carp . That fish quenched my thirst for my first carp catch of the year !  The carp were both lean ....no pot belly yet . 

16 lbs.

SAM_7108.JPG

....the rig.....

SAM_7109.JPG

SAM_7103.JPG

Nice fish Smerch. It might be just me, but your hair rig looks very long. Do you have better success with a longer hair? 

Im back in Niagara this weekend and will be at Jordan Harbour Carp fishing while my parents kayak around. I told them to paddle fast cause I can whip a 3oz lead at them from quite a distance haha. 

That rig picture was taken after the battle JMO .  The hair had 4 kernels of P & C , plus the rubber piece very close to the hook . My stopper is just a piece of string tied tightly on the open line (no loop )  I punched a hole through the rubber corn with a large needle to get the end of the hair to slide through .

59 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Think I need to start hitting the corn lol

nice fish smerch. Both bigger then my pb. 

When we going carpin?

I like the canned corn best except when the gobies invade it, then I use the maize . The rubber corn was an experiment ....put it on last to help keep the can corn in place .....will try that rig when gobies are active .  It looks like the carp are just beginning to hit which is about 2 -3 weeks later than last year .

Archived