His First Carp Of The Season

Took my son fishing off our dock last night where he finally managed to land his first carp on his own. It took him about 10 minutes to wrestle it in on his own with only minimal help. Safe to say I think my son is "hooked".

9ZzJvfI.jpg

Nice to see your young lad sliming up his jacket , making sure that big one doesn't get away . Congratulations to him ! I caught a nice pike last year , very close to your dock . It's a good spot for big cats as well . Keep the spot chummed with some cheap corn (boiled maize) and the carp will be waiting for your treats .

He was pretty proud of himself. The best part was watching his face switch from excitement to pure panic when it took off one way and then came straight at him and under the dock.

We caught a few cats yesterday and even I got to land a carp too all on canned corn soaked overnight with sugar and vanilla extract.

Smerchly- what did you use to catch the pike? That's on his fishing bucket list along with a rainbow trout.

Smerchly- what did you use to catch the pike? That's on his fishing bucket list along with a rainbow trout.

Knightfisher & I were trolling the shoreline and I was using a 3 way swivel with a worm harness , hoping to hook a channel cat , drum , carp , perch etc. and the 30" pike smacked it . You could easily use that set up from shore if there's enough open space to toss lures . Be aware of bottom branches/logs etc.

Show your son this pic.....pike was released there & will be twice as big now .... :bb2:

SAM_5997.JPG

Knightfisher & I were trolling the shoreline and I was using a 3 way swivel with a worm harness , hoping to hook a channel cat , drum , carp , perch etc. and the 30" pike smacked it . You could easily use that set up from shore if there's enough open space to toss lures . Be aware of bottom branches/logs etc.

Show your son this pic.....pike was released there & will be twice as big now .... :bb2:

SAM_5997.JPG

Showed him the photo and now he's drooling.

You don't need to tell me about bottom branches and snags. My son has caught more snags with his lures than he ever caught fish :wall: The best thing he ever reeled with a Blue Fox spinner was a sunken branch with 3 other lures he had snagged previously.

Archived