Potential World Records From The Niagara Area?

yakfish

I was thinking about an article I read a few years ago which stated that there is a very good chance that the next world record walleye could be caught from the Niagara River. I have been searching to find the article to no avail but it is an interesting topic. It has me thinking, "what other species that we have here in the area could potentially break a world record?" I have participated in the discussions about records before and you always have guys who say they don't care about records and for the most part I think they are full of it! LOL I think it would be awesome to have my name in the record books. Catching a State or Provincial record would be cool enough, but a world record would be awesome. To be able to say that I caught the biggest smallmouth, largemouth, walleye or pike ever recorded would be pretty cool. Now, we are very fortunate to live in an area with the potential of producing some massive fish. What species that we find around here do you think have the potential of breaking a world record? I believe walleye for sure just due to the shear numbers of huge fish caught on the Bar every year. Smallmouth too are a possibility, the second biggest was caught in Ohio waters on Lake Erie. I have to think there is a world record swimming around in there. What about some less popular species? Like Drum or Bowfin. I have to think that within the waters we have within this region there are world records waiting to be caught!

Since many fish are feeding on gobies which are super plentiful in our lakes , we should expect to break some records . We can't expect world records competing with warmer climate areas like Florida where super size largemouth bass are caught . The Bay of Quinte has mammoth walleye around 17+ lbs . and king size drum (Aaron Shirley released one 27 lbs) . Erie should produce some super fat perch which will dine on gobies and look like a pig with fingers when ready to spawn . We also have advanced technology to locate fish , stay on the schools , drop cameras to pick out the one you want , and the best gear money can buy . So , yes , records will be broken in the future .....and as the "climate change" happens and palm trees are growing in Moosonee we may see 20 lb . largies ..... :bb2:

I can't see a lot of world records coming out of the region as there are so many fish and such a variety of species. That said, there are some huge bass in the area (I've seen some), but if a bass record is set it will likely be a smallmouth and not a largie.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no chance or a record largemouth coming from anywhere in Canada!Too many huge bass in Florida, Texas and California. I can definetly see a smallmouth record being set right here!

When bass become 10 lb. pigs , will they have the usual "spunk" and be able to break water , or will they become a boot with fins ? Same thing with "jumbo" perch ....... I wouldn't be happy catching a 100 lb. musky that looked like a prego carp either lol

If bass , walleye and perch etc. are feeding on gobies that feed on zebra mussels , will they be fit to consume ? I assume the MNR is checking this out ......

Didn't know gobies ate zebras. Sheepshead do I've heard

Gobies and other fish eat zebra mussels , but not enough to make a dent in the z pop. Many fish eat the gobies including some of the perch I have cleaned . I suppose it's a good thing that they eat lots of zebra mussels rather than fish spawn .

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/fish/round-goby/

Archived