First Brookie Outing ... Success!

Jmo1685

Hey Guys,

So my girlfriend is working as a Conservation Areas Technician with Credit Valley Conservation this summer, and I have to say its paying off big for fishing so far. She had texted me some pictures this week saying that she could see what she thought were trout in a little side creek off the main branch of the Credit. Well, I met up with her after her shift yesterday and we commenced the 30 min hike into the woods to see what the fish she saw were. Armed with some barbless hooks, small splitshots and a few nightcrawlers ( Before anyone says anything, I am well south of the bait restrictions) we  made it to the spot and casted into the pool in front of us. Well, it was almost a fish every other cast ! A total of 12 brookies were caught and safely released in about an hour or so of fishing. Nothing of any major size, but now Stacy is scouting out other spots while shes out doing trail maintenance. Anyways, enough of my rambling, heres a picture of the biggest one from the day...

photo brook trout_zpspt479blr.jpg

Keep that spot yourself man..or esle it will be gone in no time lol

I cant even remember how to get there... The GF knows all the different trails and where we have to go off trail and everything for it. So I couldn't even get back there by myself if I tried haha.

For me I do not see the thrill in catching fingerlings, in my opinion we are doing more harm to these fish than good in catching them.

Thanks for sharing the picture, these fish are beautiful!

Just my 2 cents, lets leave them alone, you can't eat them and they don't put up a fight.

Guest brookie slayer

Beautiful fish. No harm in catching them if the right technique and respect is shown..only if the water gets too warm could it be detrimental

That was the only fish that spent more than 20 seconds out of the water. Once bass is open I fish bass up at Island Lake and Ken Whillans and as always carp at the TO Waterfront. 

As for the not putting up a fight, I disagree, with an ultralight set up these guys out up quite the fight. 

I will continue to fish this spot. Probably once or twice more before the heat sets in. If we spent a lot of time to find it, I plan on keeping it secret only myself and my girlfriend will know of it's spot  

I can can also assure you that I'm handling fish with the utmost care. I spent all last summer doing fisheries work, handling a lot more fragile species than Brook Trout. 

12 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Brookies only get as big as the creek will allow, in tiny brooks fish that size are older then you think and sexually mature. 

Creek was about a metre and a half at the widest points. I don't think they'll get much bigger 

12 minutes ago, Jmo1685 said:

Creek was about a metre and a half at the widest points. I don't think they'll get much bigger 

Actually that's 5 or 6 feet, I was thinking a much smaller brook, should be some bigger ones if it is that big. 

Archived