So many Gar in Marlatts ponds...

RaedwulfFisher

Was just out fishing for sunfish and I got excited when I saw a huge gar swim by at the shoreline.

Thought wow..another gar...I caught one just two weeks ago...

so I go along the shoreline at the ponds...and..low and behold...gar..everywhere..big..small...lunging for smaller fish..on a feeding frenzy....

what I saw proves Marlatts pond is full of them..and there are some large ones

Have at it.

I can't believe how many Gar I've seen! Went down again today they were on the other side of the ponds by the beaverdams sign..its just teaming with them....got my rope lure ready for tomorrow!

Yep! I got some rope lure on two different spinners..gunna try later on

edit: btw didn't see any this morning where they were congregated yesterday..I guess they move around the lake? I dunno..elusive buggers!  Anyone have any tips regarding this fish?

edit again(lol): seems like everyones yelling "woohoo" when they pull their first bass of the yearfrom the water..rofl..you almost can't catch them now they're so plentiful on the shores..i actually get a little nervous when people look at me like.."PUT THAT FISH BACK"...got a look from an older gent because I was casting my rope lure on spinner...it doesn't have a hook on it. ...awkward.

I also caught this turtle.................which i thought was hooked in the mouth...turns out they just don't want to let go of that worm

45u4.png

I made a rope lure (hookless) and out of ALL things a freeking PIKE slammed it after maybe 6 casts..you could imagine my frustration...Im not sure what I did with this rope lure but I keep getting a lot of bites of other fish (prolly bass) ...if only bass season was open!!..by the way I did a bunch of research on the gar and how to catch them...they have poor eye sight..but prefer white with 'red' colors on lures. ..you spot them...cast  behind them..work the lure fast alongside their body and depending on if they're feeding or not they will strike..they are very tricky fish to catch..water temps have to be perfect....best time is on a hot hot day clear skies middle of the afternoon. There are definitely big ones in there...I always see them moving around in packs of 2 or 3...I haven't got one to even flinch though.......besides using lures...tiny minnows are supposidly the best bait for them. Anything too big they won't even respond. ..(again this is just from my research not my actual experience)

Big flashy synthetic flies work as well, gets caught in the teeth too.

An update..found out what they like....got a follow from ONLY gar every few casts...thougth for SURE I'd be catching them....I was wrong...why? No idea...they are very hard to hook.

One thing I learned though is the lure they like..and how to present it to them...first. Go SLOW..right at the top of the water. Second..All the strikes I got from the gar are when the blades break the top of the water..makes them go for it..don't know why..

third.....I have yet to figure out...why I can't hook them.

I left the hook exposed...just incase the nylon rope wouldn't work..just to increase my odds..or if anything else came after it.

I used braided nylon and adhered it to the shank...combed out the nylon.....

despite the strikes...no fish. I had a big one on for maybe 5 seconds only for it to get off.

Any ideas what's going on?

yesbbay.jpg

Only advice I can offer is that we never combed out the rope like that. It may be too smooth and not getting tangled in the teeth enough.

i have had luck with twitching F11 on top also. Use ones with the 3 trebles, more likely to hook up.

good luck 

I definitely will be catching these buggers..I can't believe how big they are in there.....you think maybe the nylon is too small? ...I dunno..I'm gunna put a treble on the hook to see if I can help...by the way the thing about combing it..it doesn't make it easy to slip it actually makes it even better to tangle up in as theres more threads loose to get caught in...it gets tangled very easily

Just looks smooth, ones we used were not quite as manicured. Gars are hard to hook regardless of what you use. Watched a show today they were using shiners with a treble and a second stinger, letting them take the bait a bit and doing a softer hook set. They were missing a lot of hook sets and losing fish often. Just keep at it you'll get em eventually! 

Archived