What a way to break in a new reel!

yakfish

I just picked up a new Lews Speed Spool Tournament MB the other day and wanted to get out today to see how I liked the new reel. I was fishing a local river hoping to catch a pike or two in the 2-3 hour window I had to fish. I started out throwing spinnerbait like I usually do. After nearly an hour with no action, I think it's time to change things up and it looks like a good area to throw a crankbait. I dig thru the center consol to see what I had in there and pulled this beauty crank out! First cast and it get hammered! After a few minute battle of head shakes and circles around my kayak I finally get her beside the yak and reach carefully to grab the lower jaw and lift her over the side. While I'm reaching for my needle nose she goes nuts and jumps out and back into the water. After another precarious minute of musky tangled in the anchor line, I get her back in the kayak. This time as I'm trying to unhook her she flails around again hooking my middle finger deep. So here I am, hook in a 38 inch muskys mouth and my hand at the same time. I'm holding the Fish with my free hand and I'm unable to let her go to reach for my pliers again. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. So I just sat there for a moment at a complete loss. The musky decided to take matters into her own hands and started flailing around once more. This time I was fortunate to see the lure was now free of the muskys mouth. But I could still see the hook in her mouth. She ripped open the split ring while the hook was in my hand! At least I'm free of the fish! So now it's time to release the Fish. I was unsure of her survival since she was out of the water for at least five minutes at this point. When I placed her in the water she rolled in her side. Not a good sign I'm thinking. She's also drifted out of my reach. I reach for my net and pulled her her closer to the kayak so I could reach her tail. I rolled her back upright and held her tail and slowly rocked her back and forth to wash water over her gills. I can feel the stregth of the fish returning feeling the muscles in her tail flexing. Then she gave a kick. I didn't let go just yet. I wanted to be sure she had enough energy to take off. finally I felt her kick harder. This time I let go and she kicked up a facefull of water and was gone! Beauty fish, beauty reel and beauty day for fishing!

20160603_131800_HDR_zpsljwmlutz.jpg

20160603_131723_zps9wqg40tb.jpg

20160603_132346_zpswhpuurmp.jpg

20160603_140554_zpsu8mup9x6.jpg

I've been hearing of to many hook accidents lately. That was me last summer. Well great story u should of saved it for a contest lol.  Nice fish n great pics to show people. Be careful  out there guys. 

They are jumpy buggers...the first musky I ever caught was on a worm..yep a worm...Caught it at Lake Scugog fishing for sunfish. I don't even think I had 10lb line on lmao...amazing lake by the way for fishing..it's full of Musky..sometimes you see them basking in the sun in the shallows in a few feet of water

It was well worth the pain! My hands will be sore for a few days. Ones of my fingers is still bleeding from the teeth!

23 minutes ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

They are jumpy buggers...the first musky I ever caught was on a worm..yep a worm...Caught it at Lake Scugog fishing for sunfish. I don't even think I had 10lb line on lmao...amazing lake by the way for fishing..it's full of Musky..sometimes you see them basking in the sun in the shallows in a few feet of water

Loved your report.....Never been to Lake Scugog................Any good opportunities for shore fishing ???????

I had a similar event with a pike on Lake Simcoe and a J11 Rapala buried in the web between my thumb and forefinger.  At the time I had a nice chunk of maple that I used to dispatch of any fish I wanted to keep.  I took a swing at the pikes head but missed and hit my hand that had the hook in it.  This managed to get the pike even more pissed off.  In the end I won the battle but walked away with a beat up hand.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Loved your report.....Never been to Lake Scugog................Any good opportunities for shore fishing ???????

I could be wrong on this, but i heard something that scugog is completely closed to fishing now. Maybe someone will chime in...i heard it was closed indefinately.

1 minute ago, DaveC said:

I could be wrong on this, but i heard something that scugog is completely closed to fishing now. Maybe someone will chime in...i heard it was closed indefinately.

Sorry...just googled it...its the walleye thats closed on scugog. 

Nice story and nice fish btw yakfish.

Archived