Trolling setup

Tommyboy

Hi all,I recently upgraded boats and am interested in getting into trolling. Specifically walleye in Lake Erie and northern lakes. My question is what is the best setup in your opinion? Should I run dipsy divers or lead core? Can you run lead core with planer boards?  I don't want to buy 8 rods or anything, so I just wanted your collective opinion on the best way to go forward. I've got a 15.5' side console if it matters.

thanks

tom

1 hour ago, Tommyboy said:

Hi all,I recently upgraded boats and am interested in getting into trolling. Specifically walleye in Lake Erie and northern lakes. My question is what is the best setup in your opinion? Should I run dipsy divers or lead core? Can you run lead core with planer boards?  I don't want to buy 8 rods or anything, so I just wanted your collective opinion on the best way to go forward. I've got a 15.5' side console if it matters.

thanks

tom

Tom you can open up a can of worms with that question.... Your on the right track to keeping it simple, I'd have to say 1 lead core for sure 2 is better and to make it universal, set it up segmented... What I mean is you'll set a reel up with backing, then put 2 colors on, 30' of mono, then 3 colors then 30' of mono then 2 colors then again 30' of mono, then the last 3 colors with a leader of 30' - 40'... This type of set up will allow you to run the lead core straight out the shoot. (stern) running 2, 5, 8 or 10 colors giving you more depth range..... But if you feel the boat is causing the fish to move wide of it, then you got another tool, by adding a TX44 planer board to the lead core set up.... Here you can do any of the color combo's like running 5 or 8 colors off the side and attaching the board to the mono then letting it out either port or stern side depending on the board or where you feel the fish are..... My mean reels for lead core are the Daiwa Plus 57B reels, they have a retrieval of 4' per turn.......  Now for dipsy's there great as well and can be run on different settings allowing for 2 or even 3 rods off the same side, as well as running with boards... Extra large dipsy's or jet divers can get you down just as well as riggers, just means more line to reel in........

When out learn your depth's for each set up and set your self up stacked, meaning run whatever no. of rods you have out at different depths and once you hook a fish your after adjust the rest to with in 10' - 15..... Hope this helps and good luck out there.....

Cheers Bic

Thanks for the input guys. So is there any scenario in which dipsy and jet divers are better than planer boards and lead core? Seems like lead core can get you down just about as far, and you're not dragging a saucer through the water. As for the riggers, I might buy them down the road, but want to try this without jumping too far in first.

thanks

tom

Honestly I hate dipseys, probably because I haven't caught a fish with them, never know how deep they really run. gotta do ur homework with them I guess. Cruise into shallow water n wait for them to hit bottom and rite it down (speed,amount of line out,what setting) plus I have them on mono another no no. Use braid. (Try popping a dipsey with 20-30lb mono n a soft rod, doesn't really work). Riggers set it to 50' and it should be very close.  See a fish at 30' n raise them up.  80' and drop them down. 

Your right there Tyler0420 you have to do your math and home work to know the area you're bait will be in.... But one thing for sure is you want to be above the fish..... And yea 40 - 50lb Braid is the way to go economically wise and you get a better release... Your rods will work, yes a stiffer action rod is better, but put braid on it and it'll release....... But using a dipsy set up does perform, though like any set up if your not in the zone with it, or on top of fish, all your doing is cleaning tackle..... Riggers are easier to adjust quickly, but can set you back a nice chunk.....

Tommyboy I know guy's that will run lead core before dipsy's any day, it's kind of known as a stealth way of catching Walleye.... You did mention your boat being 15.5 so don't make huge leaders for the dipsy's, I run 5'-6' leads mainly and have 8'-9' leads for those day's I feel the fish are getting spooked..... Anything longer and you'll have a hard time netting fish....

Cheers Bic

On June 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Tyler0420 said:

Honestly I hate dipseys, probably because I haven't caught a fish with them, never know how deep they really run. gotta do ur homework with them I guess. Cruise into shallow water n wait for them to hit bottom and rite it down (speed,amount of line out,what setting) plus I have them on mono another no no. Use braid. (Try popping a dipsey with 20-30lb mono n a soft rod, doesn't really work). Riggers set it to 50' and it should be very close.  See a fish at 30' n raise them up.  80' and drop them down. 

Download "Dypsy Troller" app. Works great

by August all I run are Dypsy diver and or riggers. Jets and lead have there limitations

Archived