I need some help

I fish in the niagara region very often and just recently started trying for carp. I know I'm set up right but I can't seem so catch many fish, I've been using corn and bread and fishing in the welland river mostly, tried a spot in port colborne but again no luck. Anyone have some good places to land big carp, I can seem to catch like 7 or 8 pounders every now and then but I want to catch one like 20+ that would be awesome. Also I don't have a boat or anything so I'd have to stay on the shoreline. Any advice would be greatly appreciated cause I want to get my buddies hooked on carp fishing lol right now they think it's boring. Thanks

Lake Ontario is full of big 20 pound plus fish. The other weekend I was out with a few people and 4 were caught. Spodding is key to getting the bait out. Remember, you don't need to go out super far. 

Welcome Wellandfisher to NFN , and the carperooos .  I also carp fish from shore ....caught one 21 lbs. yesterday . I 'm thankful my carp gear is sufficient to handle the big ones I have netted up to 30 lbs . without breaking the rod in half or the line . Corn has been my best bait although my largest carp so far this year was 29lbs.12 oz. taken on puff corn with cream corn/oats mix for chum . I will try bread next time , but have corn for a backup . I also prefer the hair rig using 20 lb gut & 30 lb braid on the bait runner reel . I  like mono as well & fleuro -carbon is best where the line may be resting over rocks . As your buds say ...it can be boring waiting for them to bite , but I'd rather wait longer to catch that 20 -30 lb. beast that goes ballistic and builds your biceps to mammoth proportions ( like my right one) :)  <_<. You will find tons of info on You Tube as well as from checking out the archives here .  Good luck & good fishing !   :Gonefishing:

Hey Wellandfisher welcome  i also fish the welland river and do well i love the carp fishing as well using can corn peaches and cream on a hair rig and chum carp are just like anything you have your good days and bad 2 days ago i tried fishing the surface chumming with bread and crust on the hair just floating on the surface it works good you spot the fish on the surface and toss it out near him and wait and watch him suck it in and watch him swim away hook in mouth and soon as the line get's tight hang on he takes off hard don't give up it will take time to get that big one i'v been fishing carp for about 4 years now and just this year i caught my first 25 lb carp:) but lot's of 5 to 15 pound over the years

and still have a lot of fun with them so keep at it and just have fun with it 

My go-to hookbait is maize that is critically balanced with a piece of floating maize.  This allows the bait to be picked up by the carp a lot easier (IMHO). Sometimes I go with just the floating maize popped up about 2 inches over a PVA presentation of maize and hemp.  I'm also gaining confidence with a 15mm fluro popup in pineapple + plum flavour. 

WellandFisher, there's so many options to experiment with, but you will soon find whatever gets the 20 pounders feeding

Lake ontario has some absolute brutes cursing around, like Jmo said it's primarily about baiting the area to attract them. You may have to sort through some small ones, but the big girls will be around. 20s are not uncommon for the great Lakes. Try using maize on a hair rig with a bait holder/ feeder 8 to 15 inches up from your hook. You can buy conventional chum or ground bait but it can easily be made with a few ingredients.  

Archived