Canada Day carp on the fly

Flycarp

I planned to meet a friend first thing in the morning but weather reports were sketchy- call was made to go with the plan - turned out to be a good call.  After arriving and setting up the rain decided to show up.

first fish was this chunky guy - hit an olive leach pattern and took off until I was into my backing.  My friend was the net hero as the barbless hook came free right as this guy slid into the net.

more to come.

image.jpg

Second of the day was a real nice surprise- my second ever mirror carp.  Another awesome fight.

this one hit a small bugger with a red glass bead head.

more to come

image.jpg

Final chapter...

i saw saw a big guy slurping at the surface and managed to drop the perfect cast - close gentle landing but not too close to spook the fish.  This guy was the freight train of the day and had several long runs.  Who says you don't need a drag on a fly reel?

managed a bonus sheepshead in the mix as well.  Not a bad day considering the weather forecast.  

Happy Canada Day everyone!

image.jpg

Good on  ya mate .....nice to see these beasts being caught on a fly rod   :worthy:

....and using your own custom made fly ....with a barbless hook .  And congrats on the mirror carp , they seem to have a little more zip to them ......less drag from all those big scales eh ?    B)

4 hours ago, Catfish said:

Awesome fish there. I will be fishing tomorrow morning probably

Good luck hope you hammer them!

thanks Smerch they are a blast and are high energy

Archived