FINALLY!

RyannLarge

There you go your face says it all congrats you broke the ice now you will keep getting them and that's why you dont give up just have to keep

at it thats a good size carp too:clapping: what was on his menu

3 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

There you go your face says it all congrats you broke the ice now you will keep getting them and that's why you dont give up just have to keep

Took ages to finally get one but this was on top water. We had to fight the turtles but he was eating Naan bread, some weird whole grain I've never heard of and rye. Hooked in the top corner of its lip. Not entirely sure how much it weighed but I want to say 6 to 8 pounds and it was estimated 60cm but it was probably shorter.

10 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya they do get bigger but it's a good start. 

I know they get much bigger :P when I was a kid my little cousin caught a carp twice that size(they get even bigger). This carp made me think about getting a stronger rod though.

On 09/07/2016 at 9:46 PM, gunner-2 said:

The whole grain was prairie bran and he seemed to prefer the Naan bread and the Prairie bran more than the rye.

On 12/07/2016 at 10:52 PM, Skroads said:

And it begins! Nice fish man. 

Trust me when I say it has begun :P dad and I were out bass fishing beaverdams and I saw some surface carp and told my dad "we have to get bread when we go out for worms!" We ended up going to a different spot but we had the bread just in case ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2016 at 8:51 PM, Skroads said:

Ya man. Always bring corn to beverdamns lol. I swear beverdamns is the carp social club, there alllllways there. Lol

I always keep a can of corn with my gear just in case. I think my problem is being too lazy to tie a proper rig. I'll just chuck a sliding weight on about a foot above my hook and just thread the corn on the hook. I'd probably have better luck with a hair rig.

With the hair rig you can use a smaller hook  and mix some real corn with a piece of rubber floating corn to make it more buoyant . I like to use the sliding egg sinkers with the rig & use a strong swivel for the stop . I keep the 20# mono hook lead about 7" from the swivel . When the gobies & other bait stealers are hitting my can corn , I use the boiled maize which is tougher for them to steal . Need another carp fix soon , but not in this heat .....:excl:

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

With the hair rig you can use a smaller hook  and mix some real corn with a piece of rubber floating corn to make it more buoyant . I like to use the sliding egg sinkers with the rig & use a strong swivel for the stop . I keep the 20# mono hook lead about 7" from the swivel . When the gobies & other bait stealers are hitting my can corn , I use the boiled maize which is tougher for them to steal . Need another carp fix soon , but not in this heat .....:excl:

I just pre tied a few hair rigs with some braid should be fine for the water I fish. I'll probably buy low vis line in the future and just pre tie a bunch and keep them on a pool noodle in a Pringles can.

15 minutes ago, RyannLarge said:

I just pre tied a few hair rigs with some braid should be fine for the water I fish. I'll probably buy low vis line in the future and just pre tie a bunch and keep them on a pool noodle in a Pringles can.

Good idea using a piece of noodle in the Pringles can.  I keep my rigged carp hooks in 4" x 5" zip lock bags . Each rig has a loop , ready to slide through the swivel to change hooks in seconds .  One thing about carp fishing ....don't need much tackle to land a 30# plus fish . A decent net helps both the angler and the fish .   :Gonefishing:

16 hours ago, smerchly said:

Good idea using a piece of noodle in the Pringles can.  I keep my rigged carp hooks in 4" x 5" zip lock bags . Each rig has a loop , ready to slide through the swivel to change hooks in seconds .  One thing about carp fishing ....don't need much tackle to land a 30# plus fish . A decent net helps both the angler and the fish .   :Gonefishing:

I only have one size in two different gauges. The guy at Pete's recommended a size ten so that's what I got. I had to hand land that carp I caught at the GR which was disgusting with the state of the soil in that water.

The staff at the small bait & tackle shops will give good advice and recommendations to their customers . Some are into carp fishing themselves .... don't be shy to ask  them what you are looking for.....

On 26/07/2016 at 4:18 PM, smerchly said:

The staff at the small bait & tackle shops will give good advice and recommendations to their customers . Some are into carp fishing themselves .... don't be shy to ask  them what you are looking for.....

Yea the younger guy helped me pick out some basic gear and I bought an okuma bait runner from Petes the other day. Going to prep a metric butt tonne of bait for Saturday and see if I can get some line to peel off the new okuma. The younger guy at Petes carp fishes so I'll take any advice from him I can get.

Hmmmm....."young guy" ........maybe be one of my students .......:rolleyes:

I also had a young guy (their all younger than me)  set me up with a 12',   three weight carp rod for my new bait runner . Hope you get a monster carp for your first test drive  Ryann !   :Gonefishing:

46 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Hmmmm....."young guy" ........maybe be one of my students .......:rolleyes:

I also had a young guy (their all younger than me)  set me up with a 12',   three weight carp rod for my new bait runner . Hope you get a monster carp for your first test drive  Ryann !   :Gonefishing:

I'm saving up for a nine foot four piece Shimano right now. Collapsed length is just over 2.5ft which is good for me since I'm limited to on foot or some form of bicycle. 

Archived