July 13

Catfish

Fly fished carp yesterday morning for the fourth time, was very tough fishing. Found a stacked spot where pods of 6-10 fish were slurping across the surface but couldn't get any to take a dry. Did manange to sight fish two late morning, one being a decent 20-25lb carp that took me to within a few turns of my backing.

400F3730-F9A6-44B0-AAC4-D24706C2BD70_zps

It's great to see a carp being caught on a fly rod .  I have caught carp in the north in tea colour water and they are usually very dark . It must have taken some time to net that beast  .  Catfish (Carpfish?)  .....Do you scent your flies for added attraction ? 

Thanks everyone.

@smerchly No scent added, they don't seem to care too much anyway, but it may help. I can't imagine they smell that good to a fish, with the head cement and my natural scent that I leave on everything while tying.

5 minutes ago, Catfish said:

Thanks everyone.

@smerchly No scent added, they don't seem to care too much anyway, but it may help. I can't imagine they smell that good to a fish, with the head cement and my natural scent that I leave on everything while tying.

Thanks !  I forgot to ask ......do you use flies that stay on the surface ?   There are spots where flies may catch carp where it's shallow with no current and the carp may pick up the fly from the bottom . Maybe a yellow (corn colour ) fly ,soaked in cream corn would trick them corn lovers into taking the fly  lol  ( My mind is always off track) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived