What the heck!

Jig Head

A few days ago I was fishing for bass at Lake Gibson, just near beaverdams, and it was so slow! There wasn't much all day, but all of a sudden, my line took off. I was like, "Oh I hooked a nice bass, finally!" But then, the line kept going, no head shakes, nothing...and I thought no way can this be what I think it is, and it was indeed, a carp (well kinda). It took off with my spinnerbait and I was in shock! I reeled it in, and behold it had almost the whole spinnerbait in its mouth! Then I noticed something else...It didn't look like the usual carp I catch here. It had that gold/brown tint to it, but half its body was grey near the mouth and it almost looked like a mix between a sheepshead's head and a carp body. I didn't have my net handy (cause of course I wasn't planning on catching a "carp") so I didn't grab the fish since there wasn't a flat surface. I took a quick picture, removed the hook, and let it go...what a weird experience that was!

g carp.jpg

g carp 2.jpg

.....drum roll   ....:clapping:.....it be a sheepshead   .  They will hit many lures  we use for bass & pike etc.  We get very large drums at Quinte using our worm harness , many over 10 lbs. ....and  lb. for lb.they out fight the walleye  & pike .....but neck & neck with the big cats   :Gonefishing:

Good drum Jigs !

Archived