Friendship Tournament (23rd year)

w1w

Bertie Boating Club has just confirmed Sunday, Sept.11. This tournament is designed for anglers who thru lack of experience, finances or equipment don't fit into the slot that many of these events create. It's casual and for $55 ($5 to ramp) there is a prize table (to last place). Molson usually helps with prizes and I provide the balance with some of my inventory. That money (my cost) is taken from the $50 entry and the rest of the money is awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and big bass (or prize). I always have a list available to show how the prize money is spent. Event runs from 7am-3pm with a trickle start. Smaller hp's leave a little earlier. Two person teams...three bass limit...minimum 12"...must have a livewell or aerated cooler...dead fish penalty...late penalty...no live bait...NO pros, please...115hp max...arrive by 6am and proceed to patio to register...weigh-in will be on patio (licensed with food)...please, take care of your servers. I'll post again as the date gets closer. Questions?...Bill @905-894-1861 

There's a "cap" on horsepower to not scare/discourage the people who've never fished a tournament. It's a small tourney meant for a fun day on the water not for the hard core gotta win so I can show my taco bell pro staff how good I am anglers out there.......

37 minutes ago, rickyy33 said:

There's a "cap" on horsepower to not scare/discourage the people who've never fished a tournament. It's a small tourney meant for a fun day on the water not for the hard core gotta win so I can show my taco bell pro staff how good I am anglers out there.......

Man I'm not a pro by a long shot but you have these "pro" guys labeled like they are only in it for the money and don't care about anyone else.  Nothing can be further from the truth,  a competition is and should be treated like you want to win but when you lose you stay humble and these guys are pros at being humble.  And when the tourney is done they have no problems telling you what they used and how they fished.  But regardless no one ever tells you spots,  but that's just common sense.  I started fishing tournaments and enjoy the excitement and pressure there is it's addicting and fun.  So just because you have a $50,000 lund, $80,000 ranger or a $1500 tinner,  shouldn't matter it's not the boat that catches the fish it's the fisherman. !!

3 hours ago, Centre_Pin_Assasin said:

Man I'm not a pro by a long shot but you have these "pro" guys labeled like they are only in it for the money and don't care about anyone else.  Nothing can be further from the truth,  a competition is and should be treated like you want to win but when you lose you stay humble and these guys are pros at being humble.  And when the tourney is done they have no problems telling you what they used and how they fished.  But regardless no one ever tells you spots,  but that's just common sense.  I started fishing tournaments and enjoy the excitement and pressure there is it's addicting and fun.  So just because you have a $50,000 lund, $80,000 ranger or a $1500 tinner,  shouldn't matter it's not the boat that catches the fish it's the fisherman. !!

X2

I remember when I fished my first few tournaments, years ago. The first time was in a 12 foot tin can cartopper with a 7.5 Johnson (cream/burgundy with fins) and a 17lb. MinnKota. We put the boat in and the Johnson blew up. Had to fish all day near the blast-off area with only the trolling motor. Finished 22nd out of around 30 boats and won a bottle of rye. For the guys with smaller boats (I've been that guy), this event provides a more level playing field and that's what I try to do by implementing the hp max and no pros. We give the smaller boats a head start, too. No other event that I know of does that and nobody cries foul, either. I've endured long days (decades ago) where it took so long to go from spot to spot because I couldn't afford a bigger boat and motor. I remember drawing early start numbers, only to suffer from the wakes of the bigger boats as they passed me at blast-off. There are lots of events for bigger boats and more experienced anglers. This tournament draws a lot of the same guys, year after year. It's a relaxed atmosphere and it gives newcomers a chance to get involved without being intimidated. I encourage NFN members to drop by Bertie Boating Club for the weigh-in which starts at 3:15pm. Anyone that's interested in being involved can reach me at 905-894-1861...thanx, Bill   

1 hour ago, w1w said:

Oh, forgot to address the 'dumb' comment. I've never had anyone on this site insult me...until now.

I said it because I mean it.  A boat with a 115 will do the same to a little tin can with a 40 hp.  What I'm saying is a cap limits the amount of people that can attend so non pros that have a old ratty boat with a 120 or bigger can't attend.  That's dumb sorry but I tell it like I see it.  Not saying your dumb I don't know you to make that assessment , but that rule is DUMB!  have a bless day

1 hour ago, Centre_Pin_Assasin said:

I said it because I mean it.  A boat with a 115 will do the same to a little tin can with a 40 hp.  What I'm saying is a cap limits the amount of people that can attend so non pros that have a old ratty boat with a 120 or bigger can't attend.  That's dumb sorry but I tell it like I see it.  Not saying your dumb I don't know you to make that assessment , but that rule is DUMB!  have a bless day

Give it a rest this same crap comes up every year this is posted. There's 100's of tournaments on erie . This is what it is, and its on the 23rd year. Bill does a great job at organizing a fun day on the water with a little competition in the mix.  

FLW bass has a 150 min- 250 max , guess I won't be fishing any of those 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh and I also know that the cap for this tourney was set at 85 hp back when bill had a 85hp now that you have a 115 the cap went up. That's in my opinion wrong and iv heard this from many people on this site but they won't say but I will. Have fun and good luck out there Sunday for all you guys in small boats the winds are going to be bad so be safe. 

...anyone fishing the tournament can give me a call (905-894-1861) up to 11pm on Sat. evening or as early as 5:15am on Sunday morning, before I leave. It might save someone a trip. I'll be at Bertie Boat Club for 5:45am on Sunday, regardless. If you plan on being involved, call me about potential rescheduling...thanx, Bill

Archived