Headed to the River

RyannLarge

No clue where it is or how I'm going to fish it but dad and I both have tomorrow off and he said we're probably going to go to the river. Going in blind I'm not sure what works best so I'm taking a little bit of everything and a few combos. I'll post pictures if we happen to land anything.

25 minutes ago, bigdog said:

What river?  Niagara?

Dropshot, tubes, jerks, crnks and spinnerbaits for Smallies...and occasional pike.

I believe so. You've named everything I planned on taking :P thanks Willie

Find fish, then stick to them until the spot is exhausted.  Go find another spot, do the same.  Then go back to the first spot.  They will cycle through an area.  The bite really slows down early afternoon, find really deep water or fish for largies. I usually look for spots with zebra mussel patches...you can't miss them, they are the bright spots on bottom.  1/2oz spinners baits with willow leafs on calm days.  3/4 to 1oz on windy days.  Bring heavy drop shot weights and tube weights.  Dark tubes and white or smoke shot baits; wacky rigged 4" Senkos and Kill Shots in a 4" rigged normally (my preference, great profile). Have a dropshot or heavy tube ready for throwbacks for fish that follow a lure but don't commit.  Shake the hell out of it or rip it off bottom with quick short snaps.

Tight Lines!

My father and I were there for three hours. I threw just about everything I had in my bag and only had a follow on a crank. Tried several different baits on a drop shot rig about two feet off bottom with a one ounce weight to start. Out of the eight or so people there between the time we got there and the time we left no one caught anything. I did have a large school of 20 or so goby follow my jig up the launch while trying to jig the dock.

Baits I used:

Drop shot worm (three styles) 

Crank baits (shad and perch imitation)

Spinners both double and single blade

Dual prop stick bait

Blue and black football jig with craw

Tubes (white and green pumpkin)

Swim baits pike paddle and shiner split

On 7/29/2016 at 3:07 PM, deetch said:

The walleye have been amazing?

I must be doing something really wrong than!

Well im not actually targeting them, ive already landed at least 8 this year while fishing musky, all 26-29.5" and lost a few more. Multiple fish somenights. May actually go target them, havent seen anyone trying yet in the area im fishing.

Archived