Commanda Lake

Ricker

We did our yearly family outing to Commanda Lake (Restoule) for holidays.  Lake was very warm, no surprise.  Top water was 75F and just about every day was hot and sunny, not the most ideal fishing conditions.  We did work our regular spots for the crappy and the bite was on most mornings and a few of the evenings.  We pulled out around 50 or so over the course of the week with all the kids getting their fair share.  Most were around the 12 - 13" size which made for good fun and a nice fight!  We hooked into a few small wallies and the odd SM.  We caught most of the fish with a dropshot setup with a minnow.  Tried several other presentations but minnows proved to be the most reliable.  Just hard to keep them alive when the water was that warm.  Sunk the minnow bucket down into 10ft of water at night to keep them alive overnight.  Had a couple left on Friday which was our rainy day and in between downpours I raced over to the mouth of the river where Restoule Lake drains into Commanda and was caught a nice 3lb smallie.  Lots of fun.  Looking forward to going back in the fall with a few buddies and we are going to hit a few of the other lakes in the area as well and see if we land a few pike or muskie.  Here are some pics of the kids holding up the stringers.  This was on consecutive days, Wednesday and Thursday morning I think.  We pretty much filled up the stringer each day and the tossed the rest back. 

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Holy crappie ....nice slabs ! (drooling)   .  Obviously the kids had a great time !

Yup - had 2 fish fries from the catch over the past few days and I still have one more bag in the freezer to finish off.  

12 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice stringers Forsure.  My PB walleye was from that lake. 6lbs should still be out their swimming. 

I will let you know if I find her when I go back this Fall. :)  that would make for a good trip!

19 hours ago, BillyD said:

Hey would like to pm you.  Commanda has been on my hit list and my daughter being 3 now, would like to bring her up to the camp there.  If you're ok with it would love to pick your brain

thanks

bill

feel free - I will tell you what know but not giving you all my good spots!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Restouleand commanda are both Great Lakes  to fish I prefer restoule I go every fall and kill the walleye and musky  the cottage we go to is on a small point / island depends on hight of water. But we got a 53 " Muskie right off the dock while cleaning our walleye from the previous night   Also the best time for the walleye is just  before the sun goes down. We just  troll perch coloured rapalas really slow in 8 foot of water doing a s curve pattern changing depth and speed all the time and always get them right in front of our cottage  also get lots of lake trout as well. Haven't been able to get any bass tho 

On 28/08/2016 at 7:13 AM, Mlm fishing said:

Restouleand commanda are both Great Lakes  to fish I prefer restoule I go every fall and kill the walleye and musky  the cottage we go to is on a small point / island depends on hight of water. But we got a 53 " Muskie right off the dock while cleaning our walleye from the previous night   Also the best time for the walleye is just  before the sun goes down. We just  troll perch coloured rapalas really slow in 8 foot of water doing a s curve pattern changing depth and speed all the time and always get them right in front of our cottage  also get lots of lake trout as well. Haven't been able to get any bass tho 

Heading back there again in a couple of weeks.  We are going to drop our boats in Restoule for a day and give it try.  I have not fished that lake yet so I am quite excited to wet my line in it.  Is it later in the fall that you get the Walleye in that shallow of water?  Looks like the temps are going to be in the low to mid 20's up there over the next couple of weeks so I don't assume the water will be cooled off much by the time we arrive.  Just curious if that was the walleye's pattern even in the warmer water temps?  We are hoping to hook into a Musky while we are there as well.  I have never caught one so it would be nice to check that off my bucket list!  I will let you know how we do.  

1 hour ago, WalleyeChaser said:

I fish 12 - 18 ft along a certain weed line for em when I'm there. As for musky I pitch and work the mouth of restoule river where it flows through the park. Some giants hiding all around there 

Thanks for the tips!  I will give it a try and definitely post a report when we get back to let you know how we do.  

Archived