Grass Carp

smerchly

In today's Spec......an odd time to publish this , maybe just a reminder they are here . No mention of the grass carp caught  in Gibson by the MNR .

No mention of how they plan to get rid of them .....

If we catch a "fertile " one , what do they want us to do ? Of course we can release the sterile ones ..... :rolleyes:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7090536-grass-carp-have-invaded-lake-erie-lake-michigan-and-lake-ontario-study-says/

I may have lost a couple of grass carp  at Gibson ,  they took off like a rocket , straight out about 80 yds. into a heavy weed bed .  They might have been grass carp ....( mnr removed some weighing around 30 lbs).   I was using 30# power pro & 20# mono leader but couldn't turn them around .....using my 12' carp rod & bait runner reel . I have a heavier reel ( 4000 Symetre) which I can spool up with 40-50# braid to help muscle them away from the weed beds.  The grass carp have been here for years , but I hope the other Asian species never get a fin hold here !

This year we caught none in the GTA, which after catching multiple last year was a good sign. 

We used Trammel Nets, Trap Nets, Fyke Nets and the Boat Electrofisher all summer long. 

We we got a few calls about people sighting "All the Asian Carp" in the Islands. When we went the next day to investigate the area we found nothing but common carp. 

If ANY are caught, the DFO has a Grass Carp Hotline I believe. Call and wait for them to arrive. There response time is generally pretty quick. 

If anyone has any questions about the work I do involving fisheries work and Grass Carp, feel free to ask. 

Thanks for the report JMO !   I watched the DFO  , loading the boat with gear  at L.Gibson ,  including two large round nets (black mesh) and wondered how they used them to catch the grass carp . I have being trying to catch one using corn ....knowing they like their veggies  ;) . Can you suggest a better bait for us carp  aficionados ?  Also wondering if the bait should be on bottom or suspended using rubber corn - styro-beads ,etc.  or using floats ?

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Thanks for the report JMO !   I watched the DFO  , loading the boat with gear  at L.Gibson ,  including two large round nets (black mesh) and wondered how they used them to catch the grass carp . I have being trying to catch one using corn ....knowing they like their veggies  ;) . Can you suggest a better bait for us carp  aficionados ?  Also wondering if the bait should be on bottom or suspended using rubber corn - styro-beads ,etc.  or using floats ?

Smerch, the big round nets are either trammel or hoop nets. They act like big minnow traps in the water, fish get in but they can't get out. It's also my belief that the DFO didn't get all the Grass Carp out of Gibson. Electrofishing boats can only shock down roughly 2-3 metres  

It it would be possible to catch them on anything. Corn, pop-ups, boilies, insects etc. I think it's just presenting the bait in a proper fashion.  I would approach it using a modified Combi-Rig, with a 15mm pop-up (I use Dynamite Baits Duo in plum and pineapple flavour). I use rig putty to make sure the hook is just off the bottom, especially when using particles as feed. 

I have a few spots in Toronto where I think they will show up next. Just waiting for spring to come...

Thanks again .....I agree ,they didn't get all the grass carp out of Gibby ,  lots of water there with different depths & structure . I plan on getting an earlier start on carping this year & hope to nail one of these evasive monsters !   ...:Gonefishing:

• 4 weeks later...

More on carp .....not good news ,,,,,

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7164514-trump-administration-blocking-project-to-keep-asian-carp-from-great-lakes/

and more , closer to home .....

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/asian-carp-have-invaded-the-st-lawrence-river

Will we win the war on these fish ?  This is the price we pay for the cheap good we buy at our stores through world trade . After paying out billions to keep invasives in check through taxes we are not saving money . As I write , thousands of ash trees are being cut down to kill little Asian beetles ......seems like a losing battle to me ....:dunno:

Grass carp are really not invasive IMHO, they have been in our watershed since the 80's and still haven't taken over. They were legally used in ponds for weed control up until 2004 in Ontario and are still bred and used for that purpose in Alberta. The other Asians are bad news though, even our common carp came from Asia I believe and most fishery  managers if they could turn back time would like to see them gone as well.

I think you are right about the grass carp Dave ....they have been around here for many years . I read some info in wiki that said they need special conditions to hatch their eggs .

As usual the media news shows pictures that are not consistent with the actual subject . Mr Trump has a name for these news stories !  . The media writes headlines and posts pictures to catch your attention until you read the whole story .....better to read the replies from ordinary people who fish these waters .....

The gazette article list them as grass carp.

Wiki lists nine versions of Asian carp and none of them are reed carp. Plus the article is using a false picture to "enhance" the article. The grass carp is not the variety that jumps when you speed through in your boat. That is the silver carp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_carp

On 2017-03-02 at 0:16 AM, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

sorry my bad, was painting all day with oil paint,

Yes , oil can do that to you ...aha !  I use WD40 to clean my hands of oil paint. ...great stuff !  :)

My goal this year is to catch one of those beasts ! I may have lost a couple last year , fishing L.Gibson ( they are in there) . They took off like a rocket straight into weed beds  100 -150' from shore , staying on bottom , unlike most of my large carp that surface  in about 15 -30 seconds .  Going to use heavier gear there this year . (100# floro.c.salmon siwash #6.0 , loaded with a head of lettuce)......:rolleyes:

Archived