diy running weight

dwc67

i wanted to try a thru line weight for a running rig this spring. most times i just have a sliding bell sinker

i am too cheap to buy specific carp weights, i just flatten bell sinkers with a hammer( thank you Carp Fishing In Canada , great book ). so i drilled out the center of a flattened weight and epoxied in a plastic q-tip tube.

turned out pretty well

20170409_192142%20Medium_zps7hkp00pl.jpg20170409_192219%20Medium_zpsqbixezcj.jpg

I've been using flattened bell sinkers for a few years for carp ....works good for bolt rigs as well . They hold better in current also . I use a big vise  &  5 pound steel mallet  to get it flatter if needed .  I don't think you will have any spinning problems with that weight ....looks good !  Normally , I buy the 1-2 oz. egg sinkers ....3 for a buck ....about the same price for the bells.

....the plastic insert  is a little work but may help save the line from fraying . Egg weights weaken the 30# braid after sliding up & down after a days fishing ,so I cut off the last foot or so each time . Adding a 3' lead of 30# fluoro carbon would help with the fraying.....

Archived