the HOT lure

Jim K

Tuesday's fishing got me thinking. It actually drove the point home, as it was something I was aware of. 

I went fishing twice that day, two for Tuesday, if you will. In the morning, I went bass fishing on a friends boat. We both had caught a couple drifting until the wind totally died. With no breeze, and no prop on his electric, we decided  to long line troll, He tied on a crank bait, and started catching decent bass. Now, I had that lures twin in my tackle bag, so I tied it on. Nothing doing. he kept catching, I got nothing. How much line do you have out? did you tie direct, or do you have a swivel? I tried to copy what he had to no avail. He caught, I did not.

That evening, I headed out with another guy on my boat for night walleye. I tied on my trusty blue and silver F9 Rapala. It started to catch. It usually does. Between us, we had quite a few F9's of various colors. They wanted THAT one. I caught 6, he got 1. I highly doubt it was the color, as it was about midnight. 

I've seen it with salmon fishing a bunch. One  rod catches 5 fish, all the others combined, one or two. Even though you match it exactly on the other down rigger, they only want THAT one. 

I'm pretty sure you can take ten seemingly identical spoons or stick baits, check that they run ok, and find that only a couple of them produce.  Any similar stories?

Its not luck. Just like the old pre rapala wiggle warts, some of them would run true and some would "hunt". Its all about the subtle variations in the lures action. A slight blemish in the lip, maybe a heavier coat of paint or clear coat. Maybe the line tie is a hair off to the side. Something is making the hot bait dance just a little differently.

I agree with you, yakfish. A lure that kicks out every so often, or hunts, is often a trigger.

I attended the last Niagara musky meeting. The presenters were Brett from Brett's baits and Jim "Mr Toothy" . Both are custom musky lure builders. I see you list lure building as an interest. I found it really interesting how they picked wood and also materials for bills, and decided between screw eyes, or through wire for hook attachment. They touched on trying to build lures that hunt. A lot of work goes into every custom musky bait, that's for sure.

Yes, very typical. Not just from a boat either. Two guys float fishing, and one guy pounding them all day while the other guys using same setup. Then the next time out the guy who was getting nothing is pounding them. Have to wonder about many small things...maybe scent of the hands, maybe a slightly longer or smaller diameter tippet or like mentioned a erractic running bait. One time they are hammering pink bags, next week they want nothing to do with pink, its chartruse or nothing. Is is all too common though for sure.

Fish are fin-icky ....especially the females :rolleyes: . They can be influenced by the sun , clouds , water temp. or change due to rain /runoff , water viz., currents , angler movement , noise/vibration , satellites , bad breath ....you name it . When it comes to colour .....it takes females a loooong time to decide .....:Gonefishing:

....I am going to be hung up by the ladies here.......                                                                                     :mellow:

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

Fish are fin-icky ....especially the females :rolleyes: . They can be influenced by the sun , clouds , water temp. or change due to rain /runoff , water viz., currents , angler movement , noise/vibration , satellites , bad breath ....you name it . When it comes to colour .....it takes females a loooong time to decide .....:Gonefishing:

....I am going to be hung up by the ladies here.......                                                                                     :mellow:

I think you're fishing for trouble with that one Smerchly. I think I'll tie on something different. :D

Archived