Oh my aching hips.

coldmiser

Finally! Lake Erie. Sherkston shores. Beautiful day, sunny, no wind, best access to the lake in 10 years.No giant ice pile to climb over. Just miles of clear ice. Straight out from Pleasant Beach rd. But..... the first hundred metres are small snow capped ice chunks. Not terrible but tricky. Then open ice. Wish I had my ice creepers. 45 minute walk and there is an open lead. Okay, drop in the transducer and 48 ft. In goes my go to lure. Small perch coloured buckshot. Jig, jig , tap. 8" perch.  maybe. Nope, nada, nothing. 50 ft. over. Down, jig, jig, tap. 'nother 8" perch. Maybe, nope, nada,  50' more. Down, jig, jig, jig ,jig, jig.zilch. (Thought), how big is this lead. Oh crap, I think it goes all the way to Pt. Abino. Could step over it in a few places but I see more leads out there. Few Whistler ducks heading out. Must be open water near. Maybe I can still get to the recreational canal. Pack up and head in. Oh oh. Temp. 35F. 2 hours of bright sun shine. Ice is like oiled glass. REALLY wish I had my creepers now. 45 min. out, hour and 15 back in. Looking for every stray snowflake for traction. 45 min. on the way in and not even close to shore ice. A tear rolled down my cheek. Finally got to the shore ice. What had been a field of ice chunks was now a field of icy bowling balls. Another tear. Finally made shore. My left n't is out there somewhere. I keep veering to the right now. Maybe next time.:)

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have a few pr.of ice creepers ( one pr, from the 1950's) , but they don't fit my big Baff. boots ...impossible to drive my van with them , won't fit between the gas & brake peddle. ( only size 9 ) on the inside & 16 on the outside !

I have a pair of ice creepers called " KT Hi-Tech Safety" that I use on my size 12 snow boots, and they are fantastic!

Full rubber sole with many cleats embedded in them, and a rear strap that will fit any boot size!

I can't remember where I bought them from, but I find that they are WAY better than older styles I've had before.

Just checked Canadian Tire website - I got them there - called HT Super Stud Ice Sandals

icecleat.jpg

10 hours ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

might be easier to put on the skate's to get around out there. :P

It works great. But it's hard to tow something. Bring a push stick or use your spud. Pushing your sled is much easier than towing when on skates.

2 hours ago, waynemartin said:

Your right Lundtastic it will be shoulder to shoulder tomorrow morning out on the ice.People will never learn.

It’s Lake Erie I’m sure there are miles of ice for people to fish.  And half the people won’t come because you have to walk 45 mins to perch grounds.  

Thanks genec , I have seen those ice sandals at C.T. ...only the extra large left . Velcro straps would be ideal  . Hmmmm....I have a big roll of 1" velcro  ( 2 ice creepers  per boot) :rolleyes: ...just thinking out loud ( TOL ) . I'll check it out today , got a bill to pay . I "was" going to fish today but .....

Anyone venturing out on that slick ice today better take a 20# anchor ......for each foot !

edit..... went to C.T. ...no SS ice sandals  left .....have creepers with laces ....^_^

25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

It’s Lake Erie I’m sure there are miles of ice for people to fish.  And half the people won’t come because you have to walk 45 mins to perch grounds.  

Shouldn't this be in the ice fishing section?  People should also realize that some sections are good and some sections only have 2 inches.  Ask me how I know, I've been scoping things out for the last 3 weeks.

If you're going out on Erie half the time you are not walking.  Right now you will be sinking.

You need more posts coldmiser.  The admins should have moved your thread.  So your posts went into the public forum for all the thousands of guests that look in on us and find out the who, what, when, where, and how.  I'm old school when it comes to this.  Loose lips sink ships. The guests that don't add a thing to this site.  Not your fault but the ice fishing section is a minimum post count section for a reason.  And even on there no one spills the beans......LOL

4 hours ago, Chrisb said:

It works great. But it's hard to tow something. Bring a push stick or use your spud. Pushing your sled is much easier than towing when on skates.

Met a kid dragging a chain. Asking him why. He said "ever try to push one of these things" :)

17 hours ago, Lundtastic said:

You need more posts coldmiser.  The admins should have moved your thread.  So your posts went into the public forum for all the thousands of guests that look in on us and find out the who, what, when, where, and how.  I'm old school when it comes to this.  Loose lips sink ships. The guests that don't add a thing to this site.  Not your fault but the ice fishing section is a minimum post count section for a reason.  And even on there no one spills the beans......LOL

Agreed, this should have been moved to the ice fishing section of the board. Too late to move it now, it was missed. 

• DaveC locked this topic
On 2018-01-27 at 1:45 PM, Lundtastic said:

If it was moved the guy who started it wouldn’t be able to read his own thread

Archived