Protecting Great lakes from Asian Carp

duck&wine

These carp can replace the salmon in the lakes ....and they are apparently good eating .  :read:    Since we will have more and more world trade , we will be paying $ billions to repair the damage done by invasives as we have been doing for decades (  zebra mussels , plants , bugs ,fish, etc ) . Those imported goods aren't so cheap after all !  World trade is also one of the biggest polluters on the planet . The giant cargo ships burn tons of oil and the trucks delivering it to your local China Tire burn plenty also , and rip up the roads .....creating more thinning of our wallets ( purses) .

So yes ,  I agree the silver carp will join the now established grass carp eventually , unless the cold winter water temperature proves to be inhospitable for them ....Time will tell......

49 minutes ago, tombo said:

We better enjoy our fishing while we still can! Im worried they might be too late. Just because they havent spotted any in the great lakes yet, doesnt mean there arent any there!

If nothing is done then Erie will have arrival and survival of some of these carp species (bighead, silver etc) and there will be spread and impact across great lakes basin within 20-50 years.  Spread seems to indicate Lake Michigan will be hit first then, huron, erie, ontario.  Most impacted species from what i gather from assessments are perch, pickerel and trout.  

Grass carp have made their way to Michigan and they have been found in Erie waterways.  So their spread in great lakes basin is now imminent and will have significant impacts on wetlands including bird and fish species as well as Great lakes.  The worst part is that human mediated release is the reason.  Now I think the grass carp are not the worst of the Asian carp species but not 100% sure and that Silver and bighead are the worst.  Obviously none are good at all especially with other stresses in the great lakes.   No silver have been found in Great Lakes but some bighead have been found in the western basin of Erie (all suspected as intentionally released).  Some of these have been fertile fish.    I think it is fairly common for people to smuggle live breeding  fish across the border to bring to Toronto restaurants (i hear of cases too often).  We as fishermen have to do our part too and report anything of these we catch or see including people trying to release fish on our shores or waters.

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

These carp can replace the salmon in the lakes ....and they are apparently good eating .  :read:    Since we will have more and more world trade , we will be paying $ billions to repair the damage done by invasives as we have been doing for decades (  zebra mussels , plants , bugs ,fish, etc ) . Those imported goods aren't so cheap after all !  World trade is also one of the biggest polluters on the planet . The giant cargo ships burn tons of oil and the trucks delivering it to your local China Tire burn plenty also , and rip up the roads .....creating more thinning of our wallets ( purses) .

So yes ,  I agree the silver carp will join the now established grass carp eventually , unless the cold winter water temperature proves to be inhospitable for them ....Time will tell......

Yup.  They are apparently very good eating and are a delicacy to some.  Hence why people smuggle them in.   One strategy from experts that I heard was to basically overfish the heck out of the em.  But we know how invasive these things can be.  The problem with the models is that there ends up being a greater impact due to other species causes issues like zebra mussels, gobies etc.   Nature does find a way to balance itself but us who love to fish our native species may have a completely different ecological system to deal with.  

Travel and trade has spread diseases and invasives across the globe and it isn't going to get better. Look at our forests - we've lost 3 dominant forest species.  Chestnut, Elm and now ash.  Huge impacts on our environment and economy.  

If these carp become prolific in the lakes  our commercial fishing would do well feeding the world with these carp . It's called "adaption" .  This is a very informative write up about these fish ...... 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/eat-the-enemy-asian-carp_n_6324896

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

If these carp become prolific in the lakes  our commercial fishing would do well feeding the world with these carp . It's called "adaption" .  This is a very informative write up about these fish ...... 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/eat-the-enemy-asian-carp_n_6324896

Yes you are right.  The commercial fishery will do well and adapt.  They will have to.   That was the article I was thinking of.  Thanks for sharing that one Smerchly.

16 minutes ago, duck&wine said:

Unfortunately, I don't think they will easy to catch by line so won't be good for us who like to sport fish. That industry will be in bad shape.

We may find a way to catch them ....perhaps "flossing" with a piece of spinach ......

The comments posted were interesting ...... like....

"If they really want us to eat them,   rename them. Nobody will try to eat a fish named carp!!!! Try silver perch or big head walleye!!! Just saying"

8 hours ago, genec said:

Maybe call them grass salmon or

Brown salmon??

I suppose you could sprinkle a little "grass" on the carp for seasoning .....the new " Canadian"  spice ......:crazy:

5 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

I heard in the South U,S they're thinking of calling 'em Kentucky Tuna.  Brilliant!

Not far from here  they are harvesting tons of these carp . Then they are frozen and shipped back to China . There are plenty of vids on You Tube and info on Google  about the Asian carp . If you visit South Korea you may want to try their carp cuisine or have a dog meat buffet .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6hr6wjR9tA

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

Hey Smerch, if there is a market for them overseas, that's awesome!  We've been able to drive other species extinct by overharvesting, so why not Asian carp?

Problem solved.

The market for them overseas is huge !  And the carp  are being eaten in the U.S. at some restaurants . I'm sure it will catch on more as word gets out and the price is right . One fish can drop a million eggs , so I think we can say it's a "sustainable" fishery . If the meat is not contaminated like our salmon ,  I would try eating this fish . As one said ....we could eat them to extinction !  BUT seriously , I hope they never survive this side of the border .

It looks like it's already a big industry in the States ........

" Two Rivers shipped 264,000 tons of Asian carp — beheaded, dressed and frozen —overseas last year, said operations manager Jeff Smith. Two Rivers buys between 6,000 and 8,000 tons of Asian carp daily from fishermen in Kentucky and Missouri and expects to ship 440,000 tons this year overseas, he added. "

Hey, imagine the irony if the export of Asian carp becomes such a big business that that the fisherman lobby to have them protected!!

lol

Oh and regarding the meat being contaminated like our salmon, I read that because they are plankton feeders, their contaminate level is waaaaaaaay lower.  So eat, eat, eat!

1 hour ago, Fishlivesmatter said:

Too bad trumps cut the funding for this project

As a businessman/president he looks at the dollars and cents ,but not the "sense" ?  The salmon fishery makes many "cents" selling gear , boats & the hospitality industry etc. ...but not so much selling salmon meat . If the lakes were clean the salmon would bring in big bucks in food sales . Maybe Mr.Trump read my post about selling mega tons of silver carp to China .....We can sell them fish and trade for cars ....good deal eh ?

Ha yea anything to make a buck.  I think it has something todo with the shipping industry loosing money which im sure he has some ties in.  Hey maybe if we tell him the fish we are trying to catch are endangered and we just kill them to cut off their heads and mount them hed be willing to fund it!   

Archived