How Well Do You Know Niagara?

Guest chilli

Thanks Spanky for the reminder.

This spot looks like a dream and I'm surprised it isn't lined with fishermen from both sides. This used to be a main route but was forgotten by most when a bigger better route through the area was built.

oldwaysmall.jpg

Where in Niagara was this picture taken.

Answer on Thursday if nobody knows.

You're welcome... love this little game...

yes it does look like that area of the 12 mile.... atleast that's what comes to my mind :)

If it is.... i've never seen people fishing there, tho my dad does tell me he used to... we used to fish up around the Glendale by the walking bridge.... lived just up the top of the hill in the Rykert St. townhouses, so it was close and easy.... perch and lots of suckers and eels.... heard tell of a 15# trout coming outta there tho :)

to get there you go down hwy20 then turn down holland rd...when the road bends you go straight. cross the tracks down the little hill and your there where the bridge is its a small dam from a runoff canal great bass in there....on both sides havnt been there in a long time

well thats where i think it is

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Chilli

Good to see you back with this topic line. I think Fullofgas knows these spots not from fishing but for parking with his girlfriends over the years.

Guest Steelheader

Good choice Chili. I know exactly where that is. Spanky is right, that photo is of the west side of the bridge on Wellandport road, facing downstream (north) of 12 mile creek.

When I got back into fishing this summer, that was the first place I went to, because I always thought it looked promising. I happened to be lucky that day...the water was low and I could fish under the bridge. Caught a 2lb smallie, and saw a 3lber follow it as I brought him in, trying to get the worm off the hook.

It DOES look like a great spot, but the problem is that the water is usually very high so it's almost impossible to fish the pilings under the bridge. I've always gotten skunked ever since. I do see carp under there though, but it's so tight there's really only room for one person to fish. There are some spots on the west bank and downstream a little where the current evens out.

This reminds me of what Tommy and I were talking about...this river is a wasted resource and has so much potential. It would just take a group of patient and determined people to make something great out of it.

New record - 6 minutes! Quick one glowbug.

I'm obvously making these too easy. Oh well it raises good discussion.

This is indeed Wellandvale on the Twelve mile creek in St Catharines by the old Niagara College site. This has a "hydrolic" on the other side of the bridge which is very dangerous!!! This spot on the downstream side has an excellent set of rapids and has inspired discussion about building a world class kayaking coarse in the area for Olympics etc. I have spent some time fishing here with twisters and pulled out alot of bass and some monster rockies. One would imagine that if a fish ladder was built in Port Dalhousie, this spot would indeed be lined with float fishermen for trout.

oldway.jpg

My Father also has told me of past bounties from this waterway. It used to be full of "blue" pickeral which I've only ever caught one and yes we used to get alot of eels. You know you have an eel on if your pole bends right over and your line is spinning 100 mile an hour in circles.

Here's the hydrolic on the other side.

hydrolic.jpg

Do any of you guys think that if we made enough noise and got enough groups such as the St Catharines game and Fish etc on board, that they would look into putting in a fish ladder in Port Dalhousie. This was the reason I posted this location. I personally think it would open up a whole new untapped fishery.

My vision is a fish ladder in Port Dalhousie by the four falls. Reenforce the no tresspassing there and the area up top from the falls to JC park and deem it fish sanctuary. Dissallow boats beyond that point due to the Regatta or have a boating season. Clear sections of the twelve mile creek along the shore lines to make it more accessable (although this is designated trail) and start a stocking program. Bring back the Walleye to the creek. The upper creek would also give the trout stocking programs a better place to release. Hell, put some splake in there.

I sometimes think that the only reason this hasn't been done yet is the amount of polution in there, especially the area from the High Level Bridge on down. They probably think that a healthy trout population would sooner or later mean a demand for cleanups to be done in the system. They were once considering a kayaking coarse for this system so the development of this area isn't inconcievable.

If we point out the wonderfull opportunity to have a world class trout fishery here that is running through the heart of St Catharines and can be made much more accessable to the shore fisherman than the Niagara River is, maby we can make something special for our Grandchildren, and we someday won't argue about the amount of elbow room needed to catch fish.

Just a thought. :)

Fullofgas.

You were so close to the location I was going to post but it was too close to the last 2 spots so I thought I'd better cover more of Niagara. It was to be Spring Creek Road. Is this where the bridge is that you spoke about? Are you talking about entering Holland Rd from right in Fonthill or from the speedway end?

I dont see why the fish ladder wouldnt work ... martindale is already well stocked in gobbies so there would be nothing new there. The question just them comes down to cost and how well would it be protected as every day down in port I see people fishing in the supposed no fishing areas ....

That's where you and I come in. The reason those guys are in there is because it is tresspassing so none of us care. If it were for the protection of fish such as a sanctuary, well we all have cell phones now right. If I ever saw someone fishing a fish sanctuary, I'd quickly let them know and then I'd burn em in if they didn't scrammble. Wouldn't you?

I don't call. It's not a fish sanctuary, it's tresspassing. Not my bussiness unless they are vandalizing. I think it's a liabilty thing and obviuosly they are not all that concerned or they'd be down there grabbing cash hand over fist daily via fines.

Does anybody know of any reason why this idea would not be feasable or has not yet been done? Think about it. A fish ladder combined with a stocking program through the heart of the city. $$$tourism$$$

Guest Steelheader

Chili -

Your idea is awesome. Tommy and I were talking about this very idea a few days ago. I think it's tragic that we have this beauful stretch of water running through our city, and it blows as a fishery.

Tommy's take was that there would be WAY too much red tape to plow through to get approval for any sort of stocking program. A fish ladder would be a great thought too, but we'd have to sell it because I would imagine it's pretty costly.

But I think that if enough people push hard enough, with some patience and diplomacy we could make this happen. I would gladly volunteer to be part of such a project.

Only problem is, beyond just discussing this grandiose vision on these forums, I have no idea where we'd go from here. Perhaps contacting various environmental groups in the Niagara region...surely they would have an interest in seeing the river's ecosystem restored to some degree of integrity.

wonder if it would be beneficial to take a topic of this nature to the co-ordinator of the Environmental Technician program at Niagara College (Glendale Campus) and see what he/she thinks about it.... if support is garnered from their, it may just snow ball and lead to the game and fish assoc., MNR and the city itself.... the city of St. Kitts is looking into "revitalizing" the downtown core, the 12 mile is right there no reason why it couldn't be included....

Be interesting to talk to the owner of outdoors oriented on 4th Ave. aswell, he's right up the street from the 12 mile.... The Grand river has an incredible trout fishery and a tubing run on it aswell, no reason why the 12 mile couldn't have that.... the Grand river also has a fish ladder in Dunnville, would be a matter of looking/researching their experience in building their fish ladder....

it would likely entirely hinge on the donations and support of large companies, but i wouldn't say it's impossible....

if i'm thinking right isn't there a 12 mile organization/charity/movement (brain fart lol) already in place?

i think there is something called friends of ----- whateer they call themselves but i am pretty sure its friends of the twelve ... i could be very wrong as well ....

It would be interesting to see ...

The best bet would be to attempt to contact the company or whoever did the dunville ladder and see the cost associated with that one, since you would need to establish a quick budget if you were to talk with city officials ...

as far as stocking programs go ... there would be no reason they couldn't stock some fish into the 12. Would need to figure out the pollution levels ... which I am sure are much lower than everyone thinks .... as far as designating the area a fish sanctuary would that include most of the pond around where the fish ladder would be spitting them out? (that parks beside timmies)

IBC

Guest Steelheader

Thanks Bigfishbass

I suggest we contact some of these groups such as Friends of the 12 and Niagara Game and Fish Association to make sure that we aren't duplicating efforts. Someone may already have spent years laying some of the groundwork for such a project.

Does anyone have connections with any of these groups? Otherwise I can make some calls...

st. kitts game and fish holds meetings on a monthly basis

last monday of every month at their little office

www.stcatharinesgameandfish.com i think

from the few meetings I have attended i doubt there is an effort for this underway

Thankyou bigbassfish for the links. I had no idea there were groups out there like this. I have contacted several conservation groups and Government agencies and will keep you updated with any input I recieve. I like the word snowball here guys. Can you imagine if a bunch of us were responsible for starting one that resulted in a betterment to the fisheries for our kids?

Oh and Tommy. Add speckie, eels and browns. Not very plentifull but they once were.

Oh and 1 more thing.

Can anybody think of any reason that there might be any opposition to this idea besides the Henley or GM? It's good to think from both sides of the fence in order to avoid or plan for conflicts. If there were any legitiment concerns or roadblocks, now would be a good time to get the idea mill rolling.

can't really think of any chilli... the only place i could see a problem would be the boundaries of shorthills, where there is no fishing....

Other than that, they have a path along side the 12 mile with exercise equip. sparsely strewn about.... the 12 mile itself is not off limits, so it can't be a safety thing....the properties along the 12 mile are all on top of the hill, except the Rodman area.... we used to swim in the 12 mile as kids, it's not that polluted...

Costs would be about the only reason i could envision....

Archived