How Well Do You Know Niagara?

Guest chilli

only problem outside of costs could be if the henley corporation needs to have a say, in which we might be forced to give up any fishing anywhere near the rowing course ... and thats an outside shot that they would even care about a fish ladder

AS WELL,

there would be logistics of how to construct the ladder since Henley would object to losing any ground in the rowing area even though that is aimed away from where the water goes over the falls.

Good stuff guys. Well I don't see a ladder at the four falls being intrusive to the Henley and it could be as easy as shutting down one waterfall and letting more out of another untill the thing is built although I don't know if they still have control over those old things. The lands behind GM would be off limits but hey, they might not be there much longer anyway.

If anyone stumbles upon information about past attempts to do this or has even planned for such an idea, bring it forward and let us know. I think we've all thought about this before and in the back of our minds wondered why it hasn't happened yet. So if anyone is interested in making some calls or sending off emails or just found usefull information while researching the topic, share your findings here. The more minds we get on this, the better the chances of having a breakthrough.

:P Awe, dreams of drifting a line behind the fire fighter practice building for steelhead :P

Ok so I got an email from the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority stating that the agency that has jurisdiction is the MNR. I also have an appointment on Friday to speak with Kathy Moldenhauer of the City of St Catharines Recreation Services. She gave me a copy of "Dalhousie Peer" newsletter which I think most of you would find interesting and has many area contacts such as the Port Dalhousie Business Association. There's a write up in there about the fishermen littering up the place too. The online addition is here: Dalhousie Peer

I have sent an email off to the MNR, MOE, NPCA, Niagara Region etc and have gone to city hall. I'll keep you updated if you keep me updated. Thanks for the new link spanky.

Guest Steelheader
Little bit more info about what's going on.... if you dare read it...

http://www.conservation-niagara.on.ca/docs...veMileCreek.pdf

By searching through yahoo you get lots of stuff turning up....

Wow spanky, that document is AWESOME. Yeah, it's 98 pages long, but it demonstrates that a lot of people have done a lot of work already in terms of studying the 12 Mile Creek watershed and making recommendations for restoration of the ecosystem. It is highly detailed.

I'd recommend everyone interested in restoration of the 12 skim through that document.

It was prepared in June of 2000, so I'd like to know what's been done about it.

I am going to contact David Watson at Friends of the 12 and see what I can find out what they know. I'll report back here.

I gots a pond we can move em to once the ice comes out,

but we gotta get em out of there quick once they hatch so that the black market muskie operation im running doesnt eat them all

speaking of which let me know if you need any muskie steaks :Gonefishing:

Ok so I need your guys help. Especially the old timers and you know who you are. 5o years ago, there was a fish ladder in Port Dalhousie. My Father recalls it running from the corner of the Henley where that metal sculpture thingy stands to the marina between the north side of the factory and Alberts Restaurant. I always wondered why that corner is so deep and the shoreline there (up top) has a metal retaining wall. I think this would rule out any lake run species effecting the native fish theories.

I was approached with the concern that if lake run fish could get up into the upper 12 above the OPG station, that the Bows and Browns would over compete or breed out the natural speckle trout. I was also told by another reliable source (Dad) that they used to stock the upper 12 with speckies and "Kamloops" trout so maby there is no native population there at all. Maby they are the stocked speckies from years ago.

Now I see in that news letter that the CDS (Community Development Strategy) and the PDVC (Port Dalhousie Vitalization Corp.)has a few things in their wish list such as:

1. Landscape Rennie Island

2. Expanded fishing program

3. Relocate services underground

4. A waking bridge connecting Jaycee Park to the commercial core by resurrecting the orriginal tow path of the third Welland canal

5. A village of fountains which is now considered a pipe dream.

It's the village of fountains I'm interested in building. Pipe dream?

If all this major construction is on the table, then why not add an "aesthetically pleasing" (in their own words) fish ladder in the process. Like water bouncing over mogels.

fishladder.jpeg Located just 10 miles south of Oakland at Exit 129 from Interstate 5, the facility is open to the public without charge.

Steelhead and salmon can be seen moving past a below-waterline window as they pass over the fish ladder.

Imagine the attraction with a view like this fish ladder above. My friend who dives would love to go down and clean the glass for free 2 or 3 times a year.

fish_ladder.jpg

How come you always have to go to the US to see anything good like this.

Anyway, there is a public meeting for the PDVC on Wednesday, November 17 from 7 to 8 pm at Port Dalhousie Lions club 201 Main St. I have to work and will be late. Does anyone else feel like going and submitting a short presentation?

very interesting ideas Chili ... if a fish ladder once existed there is no reason one could not again, i can not commit to making the date/presentation due to an unknown work schedule.

IBC

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

So there was a fish ladder,that would explain how the Brown Trout got up here. Glendale/Riverview area,but doesn't explain how the gobbies got here, any thoughts??

Guest Steelheader
So there was a fish ladder,that would explain how the Brown Trout got up here. Glendale/Riverview area,but doesn't explain how the gobbies got here, any thoughts??

2331[/snapback]

Maybe the same way fish get into landlocked ponds...eggs get transferred on the feathers of ducks and herons, maybe through fecal matter. Or maybe someone dumped a bucket load of them in the water. :Gonefishing:

Gobies originated in one of the more western lakes (St. Clair or Huron) when the ballast was dumped by a ship. From there they multiplied and made their way down to Lake Ontario, the 12 miles comes from Erie no? So they would just follow the flow of water from Erie through the 12 into Martindale.

Guest bigfish1965

IBC is right. 12 mile comes from Lake Erie via the canal. Gobies likely came that way.

There may also be some walleye in there if you know where to look :Gonefishing:

Guest Steelheader

If that's the case, then why do people fear that a fish ladder at PortD will introduce competing species into the upper 12 and ruin the brook trout population? You would think competing species from Erie would already be in the upper 12.

My point is that if competing species shouldn't be an issue because they can already get into the upper 12, but clearly they are not. Therefore a fish ladder at PortD won't pose a threat to native brook trout populations.

The fish don't come down into the upper 12. The Lake Erie water flow meets the Twelve at the OPG (Ontario Power Generation) station. The upper Twelve is , well up above that. There is a severe rapid there obstructing fish from entering the upper Twelve. Another point made though Steelheader. If browns are in Erie and the canal, then they might end up in that water anyway. They havn't made it up yet. I believe most fish probably die on their way through the turbines, but there are many smaller ones that would survive such as the smelt that you see in the Glendale area in the spring. Also there are salmon in the canal. You would think some of their fry would make it down not that they'd hold for 4 years to jump up. I don't imagine we'll ever see salmon swimming through Jacksons flats to the lower DecewFalls. Although (Dad again) has witnessed eels climbing the moss to get up the lower Decew Falls.

Archived