Jordan Harbour today

Bubba14

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

CH News tonight showed many dead fish at Coote's Paradise mostly gizzard shad and cat fish ....rain runoff

They called them herring .

I saw that.lol

On 5/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, verado said:

I've never heard anything about restrictions on gas motors in Jordan. I've boated in there for 40 years, mainly for water skiing, when Don Campbell had the marina there were boats out everywhere. I've used everything from a 16' outboard to a 24' sterndrive and not once did I damage a prop. Stirred up some mud sometimes but that was about it.

In my 10+ years of fishing under the Qew Bridge i've seen recoveries for sunken boats twice.

That little channel under the bridge is gnarly for rocks.  We use to have someone hanging over the bow ready to scream to stop when we went in there to tube.  

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

Americans call these pickerel ........

Today's news ......

https://globalnews.ca/news/7007612/kingston-wolfe-island-invasive-pickerel/

Technically it is the true pickerel of pike family. Whereas walleye have had many strange names, like walleyed pike or pike-perch until pickerel was adapted for Canada.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:27 AM, мормышка said:

Technically it is the true pickerel of pike family. Whereas walleye have had many strange names, like walleyed pike or pike-perch until pickerel was adapted for Canada.

The name "Walleye" wasn't coined until the 1930's in the USA. It caught on because there are a hundred times more fishermen in the States than Canada. I have a hard cover copy of the Ontario Game and Fish Commissioners report from 1892 that refers to them as Yellow Pickerel first and then as Walleyed Pike and then as Dore. Never "Walleye". I am Canadian and they will always be Pickerel to me. LOL...............................Daniel

2 hours ago, boogaloo said:

I am Canadian and they will always be Pickerel to me

Our fathers called them yellow pickerel as we also had blue pickerel in Niagara . Walleye is okay since their eyes glow when light hits them at night . I have one mounted on my wall which has silver paper for an iris ...glows when light is on .

The chain "pickerel"  have all the features of a pike except for the chain markings .  I would prefer to call them "chain pike"

They would be a nightmare to mount and paint !

I'll mark that down on my fish to catch list ....maybe some in the B.O.Q.

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

The chain "pickerel"  have all the features of a pike except for the chain markings .  I would prefer to call them "chain pike"

They would be a nightmare to mount and paint !

I'll mark that down on my fish to catch list ....maybe some in the B.O.Q.

We used to get them in Grassy Brook near the Welland River many years ago. We called them Grass Pike.......................Daniel

Archived