Port "pike" fishing

smerchly

Gave the carp a rest (too smart for me) and chased pike today ...nice fat minnows under the float . They have joined the carp brigade and  laugh at my offerings . The float went down twice in 4 hours ...to no avail  A few nibbles and minnows came back missing both eyes (gobies) .

The cormorants were having a "hey" day and the gulls joined them by picking up the minnows that the corms chased to the surface ...plenty of bait for the pike to pick !! Another beauty day !!  ...maybe the last one for a while  !  JWL weather on the way !

It was another busy day full of people everywhere and some on the east wall fishing from the new boulders that now appear above water at the wall . There seems to be a LOT of rocks  left on Rooker's road  , maybe going to leave them to stop erosion from the high bank ?  That could be the end of parking there ....The SCGFA parking lot was crammed full of vehicles .

...a couple shots from today ....corms & gulls having a feeding frenzy  and a long shot (18x zoom) of the east wall + rocks...

port corms.jpg

port rocks.jpg

Did you see the shoulder-to-shoulder action on the walk bridge in the harbour? You know fishing spots are limited when that happens. Imagine the disappointed out of towners come to find the mess in Port. Weekend seems to be the only time to get to some of these spots as workers are away.

2 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Nice shots Smerch.  Trade ya zoom lenses.  18X.  Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just a point and shoot camera Mike .... WB700 , 18x optical zoom & 14 mps.    I like my old p & s Canon that had the eye viewer which made it easier to find moving objects like a hawk passing by . The screens can be quite useless , more so on sunny days .  I like the compactness of the small cameras too .

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

Did you see the shoulder-to-shoulder action on the walk bridge in the harbour?

Yes , I have seen them fishing there  , usually very fast current and a long reach to "bridge" any fish . Out of towners should know via the www what to expect wherever they travel .....

Ya, I have a little Canon point and shoot in my tackle box too.  Takes pretty good photos but only 3X zoom.  It's great 'cuz it's not that expensive so I don't worry about getting fish slime on it or it getting bang around a bit.  It too doesn't have the eye view like yours, but the screen is ok for taking still fish photos( except on sunny days, like ya said ).

Now my  Canon Rebel DSLR is a different story.  I baby that one a bit.  It's not that expensive a camera as far as camera's go, but it's expensive to me.  And I get a bit envious when I see the serious guys around the harbour here with lenses that extend into the next time zone!  lol  

Have to mention the amazing technology on the flat compact cell phones  My wife has the Galaxy 8 Android and it takes excellent pictures  . I'm happy with my very small flip phone used only to make /receive  phone calls when  away from home . I had many years of pleasure using my AT1  fully manual camera , even did some double exposures , some on purpose . Those old film days are long gone . I worked at Commercial Photo Copy for a year , helped prepare the chemicals for the dark rooms . about 90 yrs.ago ....  

Good shooting Mike  !

Archived