Lake Ontario and cold water

mck.brad

Looking at doing some spring kayak fishing in Lake Ontario. Just wondering what the coldest I should be out in using a 2 piece wet suit. I don't have the cash to spend on a dry suit, which I know would give a better temp range.

TIA

44 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’m looking to buy a kayak this spring. Maybe we can meet up on the lake.  Spring kings/ browns are right around the corner. 

I know! I've never gone after them before. Was looking at the SCGF spring derby this year but only have the kayak and am nervous about the water temp. Don't want to become a statistic. 

The water stays hypothermia cold well into May, so maybe its worth investing in something that makes you feel safe and of course, IS safe in case you do go for a unexpected swim. Take into consideration of how long it would take you to get back to land or even rescued? Minutes, count, right?

9 minutes ago, мормышка said:

The water stays hypothermia cold well into May, so maybe its worth investing in something that makes you feel safe and of course, IS safe in case you do go for a unexpected swim. Take into consideration of how long it would take you to get back to land or even rescued? Minutes, count, right?

Definitely agree. 

Go with a partner and make sure your kayak won’t tip.  That, and dont go out in a North or northeast wind on Lake O.  

I’d go with anyone going out for a  spring kayak trip for salmon and trout.  

It depends on your wet suit.  I used to winter drift dive the Niagara river mid winter in a 2 piece neoprene wet suit.  That's with gloves, hood, etc.  There are guys that surf all winter long along the shores of the great lakes with wet suits as well.

As with anything else, be safe and play within your own comfort and skill level.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:40 PM, Mbocco said:

Go with a partner and make sure your kayak won’t tip.  That, and dont go out in a North or northeast wind on Lake O.  

I’d go with anyone going out for a  spring kayak trip for salmon and trout.  

I've got a tandem Klepper A2, very rare to tip but never know and always want to be safe. Probably wait until end of May.  

We kayak fish early spring in Jordan harbour. Always with a buddy regardless of water temp on the big water. The harbour is nice because you are pretty sheltered provided the wind is okay. If it gets rough you are very close to shore.

Archived