Jumping Worms

Interesting story about them in today's Sun ..... they have been in N.America for many years , another Asian species that is spreading further north into our Great Lakes area . They may be in your backyard now . They worry about the forests as they "self propagate" and their "dung' is like coffee grounds which cause the soil to wash away easier .They have no way to eradicate these wild beasts & anglers may be spreading them also. ( maybe forest fires can destroys them) ?

MY take is , why worry about another species that is here to stay ? ....  We will import many more in the future . (smaller world)

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/beware-the-jumping-worm-gardeners-warned/wcm/f1514728-5490-4c4a-9d56-4758aff30add

4 hours ago, genec said:

Yea Bill thats the one I posted about back on March 15.  I figure we can all do our part by feeding them to the fish on a hook!

I remember your post Gene , seems like we have them here locally but I haven't checked them out in my yard-gardens yet .

This story gives us more info about them but it doesn't mean they can't be stopped from breeding here . 

I'm sure they will eventually be squirming on our hooks .   :Gonefishing:

I just grabbed a couple dozen worms from the back yard . They are very plentiful now but will disappear as the temperature drops off , 

and my headband light seems a little too bright as I only catch one out of a dozen , then their buddies head south instantly ! 

1 minute ago, Mbocco said:

Put red plastic paper over the flashlight. They can’t see red light as well. 

I can't see the worms well with the red over the light . Maybe a larger 6 volt light with the tape might do it . Many years ago I went "chicken catching" after dark . There was 5000 chickens in the barn , second floor . We wore red lights on our heads as they wouldn't run from us. ...but squawked loudly when we grabbed them by the leg . We would catch  3 in one hand and 4 in the other hand and bring them to a guy at the big door who held a cage for us to drop them in ...We were paid $7.50 per thousand . One night was enough of that shite ....yes 2" thick on the floor !    And my buddy got into a fight with another chicken catcher ...he got a little messed up !

Picking worms @ $7.50 per 1000 was a lot easier .....

39 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I can't see the worms well with the red over the light . Maybe a larger 6 volt light with the tape might do it . Many years ago I went "chicken catching" after dark . There was 5000 chickens in the barn , second floor . We wore red lights on our heads as they wouldn't run from us. ...but squawked loudly when we grabbed them by the leg . We would catch  3 in one hand and 4 in the other hand and bring them to a guy at the big door who held a cage for us to drop them in ...We were paid $7.50 per thousand . One night was enough of that shite ....yes 2" thick on the floor !    And my buddy got into a fight with another chicken catcher ...he got a little messed up !

Picking worms @ $7.50 per 1000 was a lot easier .....

7.50 per thousand? How many thousands did you guys catch?

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

7.50 per thousand? How many thousands did you guys catch?

That was back in the 50's , a lot of money for a few hrs. work for 2 guys . We caught enough that paid us about $5.50 as he said some were damaged and no pay . That was enough to buy some fishing  hooks etc.  Ty....gas was 9 cents per liter then  B) 

Here's a shot I just took from the deck . There are thousands of those critters bathing in the rain  !   Pick one and 50 disappear !   

...capture shot so lose some quality .

Capture Worms.JPG

23 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Here's a shot I just took from the deck . There are thousands of those critters bathing in the rain  !   Pick one and 50 disappear !   

...capture shot so lose some quality .

Capture Worms.JPG

Any jumping?

16 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Any jumping?

Just some humping going on Tyler ......

Mbocco ....I put a red cap from a WD40 spray can over the lens of my small but very bright flashlight & I was amazed that the worms didn't even flinch ! When I removed the red 'lens' they disappeared very quickly . They feel vibration easily so tread very lightly . Just need to get your face closer to them .