New Hovercraft Terminal in Port Weller

Dave

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Do you mean the floral clock one or the Decew reservoir Bubba ? 

The SCGFA had fishing derbies at the Decew Res. which we enjoyed so much .

We used to sneak in the back side under the pines and toss U -20s for the many smallies that were there . 

And we used flies on our casting reels to catch crappies in the weed beds .

I miss those times .

The reservoir behind the floral clock. The smallies in there were large and plentiful and more than wiling to take pretty much any offering.

I grew up fishing in there...we would ride our bikes from Stanley ave ...around the top and fish all over....nice rainbows in there too...we would catch all kids of fish down by the dam area..the workers would come out and say hi...remind us to be careful....we used to also put on big rubber boots early in the morning when the water was down....walk way out to check for big carp trapped in the puddles....then get all muddy seeing who could hand wrestle out the biggest one...lol ...part of the fun was the look on mom's face when got back home and walked in the house full of mud and carp slime....haha.....way too many spots on the lower river forever ruined by the almighty tourist dollar.....also a point in time it was nothing to land 100 smallies by the time the water went up in the morning at the maid of the mist....as for the rest of the gorge.... between the non fluctuating water levels ...zip lines....paid parking ..over crowded mess.....gone is the majority of all access to a year round world class fishery....

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

The reservoir behind the floral clock. The smallies in there were large and plentiful and more than wiling to take pretty much any offering.

We used to hit the crayfish pond on the way in catch 60 or so softshells in short time. Fish the power canals all morning watching the time and be back for 3 when you could start walking out to the point as the giant smallies started their migration for the night back to the deep side as the dropped. And ya spring time had lots of landlocked rainbows around the entire edge. The power canals were a system in themselves with tonnes of bows even through summer and bass although you literally never knew what you had as there wasnt too many species we didnt catch at some point. You could vertically jig cleos, crocs and williams off the walls with constant action. When we did get a big one we had a custom made drop net with rubber mesh on a mountain bike rim that we would leave in the bushes. Only fish we couldnt get up was a musky I got 1 time that must have went close to 50 pounds, just couldnt get that guy to fold in lol. Still have lots of cool fish pics from that area in the days of disposable cameras. I moved away from Niagara now and often miss it than think most of what I miss doesn't really exist anymore... 

Just now, Bubba14 said:

I fished there a few times and caught a few bass , perch and sheephead . We also fished from the high canal walls nearby and couldn't count the sheephead we got there !

Many of the spots we lost  ,like seaway or hydro property  have been due to liability issues . People went sue crazy if they were hurt or if someone drowned.

We have so many places to enjoy the day fishing but cannot access due to tresspassing or no parking signs. ( need to wear camo gear )

Just now, steellee said:

We used to hit the crayfish pond on the way in catch 60 or so softshells in short time. Fish the power canals all morning watching the time and be back for 3 when you could start walking out to the point as the giant smallies started their migration for the night back to the deep side as the dropped. And ya spring time had lots of landlocked rainbows around the entire edge. The power canals were a system in themselves with tonnes of bows even through summer and bass although you literally never knew what you had as there wasnt too many species we didnt catch at some point. You could vertically jig cleos, crocs and williams off the walls with constant action. When we did get a big one we had a custom made drop net with rubber mesh on a mountain bike rim that we would leave in the bushes. Only fish we couldnt get up was a musky I got 1 time that must have went close to 50 pounds, just couldnt get that guy to fold in lol. Still have lots of cool fish pics from that area in the days of disposable cameras. I moved away from Niagara now and often miss it than think most of what I miss doesn't really exist anymore... 

We had a few spots where we could catch those soft shelled crayfish , they were deadly for bass , and the perch liked them too . You would remember the palimino trout  that we caught near Adam Beck plant.  Neat idea using a bicycle rim for a minnow net . I could use that idea at a few spots to net fish from a wall or bridge . I was thinking of using a strong umbrella frame covered with mesh . (not for skis) .The disposable camers worked fine in a pinch , great idea then . I have pictures from my old Brownie !  

.....back to the hovercraft .....   story in the paper yesterday ...." Will it work "  ??  I will be very surprised to see enough interest to make a profit . I see the buses go by here regularly with only one person aboard ....sitting in the drivers seat !