Looking for fly fishers!

Gil

Ive been fly fishing and tying for many years and am looking for like minded people! I fish bass, trout ,crappies pike and muskie!. I fish the Welland river,Grand River,Niagara river as well as many other spots! No fun in doing it alone! Lets hear from like minded folks who like an adventure! Cheers!

I do the same thing Gil, fish some of the waters you mentioned, and more.This year will be my 29th year of fly fishing and fly tying...Kayak Bass in Lake Erie and wade fishing the Grand..Also saltwater destinations.I'm going to be in Cuba three weeks from now with my wife, but I'll still get out for Bones and maybe a Cuda..Feel free to send me a PM 

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just started Fly Fishing this week and am very eager to get out there and learn it! If anyone can PM me any good spots to start off.. Looking for quiet little streams or rivers that aren't too populated... Just to get my casting in order.. I know very well I could practice in my backyard but I would like to be on the waters

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hachiko said:

Hi everyone,

I just started Fly Fishing this week and am very eager to get out there and learn it! If anyone can PM me any good spots to start off.. Looking for quiet little streams or rivers that aren't too populated... Just to get my casting in order.. I know very well I could practice in my backyard but I would like to be on the waters

Thanks!

If you’re a small stream not too populated fisherman than your probably not going to share this info online for everyone to see. 
check google maps and follow the shorelines to find some streams. 
I always like fly fishing the grand for bass.  Easy targets, good practice with lots of room to cast. 

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

If you’re a small stream not too populated fisherman than your probably not going to share this info online for everyone to see. 
check google maps and follow the shorelines to find some streams. 
I always like fly fishing the grand for bass.  Easy targets, good practice with lots of room to cast. 

Yeah you're right about that haha!  I will take your advice and explore google maps a little more..

Thanks Tyler0420

10 hours ago, Dave said:

Hi there Hachiko, I would have to agree with Tyler..However what you intend to target will be dictated by the fly rod you bought..Did you get a 4wt or 5wt trout size rod or is it a heavier weight that can do Bass? 

I have a 6wt rod which I thought would be well rounded enough for small bass and panfish... I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks Dave

So 6wt. will be fine for local river Smallmouth. I use a 6wt weight myself for river fishing.A #6 gets a little tough in the wind and with bulky flys..I would recommend you start off with the Grand.You can catch Smallmouth ,Walleye, and even Catfish on the fly.

I used to always fish the exceptional waters from Paris to Brant conservation area, it is a designated C&R zone..Fishing has really declined there last few years.The summer canoe traffic is also hellish but most ends on labour day..A good upper zone is Glenmorris. You can fish starting at Caledonia and work your way down for the lower stretch..I'm going to avoid giving out my mostly fished areas..I use only weighted flies but perhaps you don't need to..Here is what you need to start with to get fish with out overwhelming you with fly patterns, all size #4.Olive over white Clouser minnow, Bead head Black and olive wooly buggers..The same colours in a rabbit strip zonker pattern..Olive Sculpin patterns!!!!...There are of course other patterns that work...I posted some of the flies I use in another thread on the site...Put rubber legs in those wooly buggers!!

4 hours ago, Dave said:

I used to always fish the exceptional waters from Paris to Brant conservation area, it is a designated C&R zone..Fishing has really declined there last few years

My buddy has a site on the river. These are local waters for me. 
We’ve noticed over the years bass fishing has slowed down but not sure why. 
I noticed it slowed right down after we got the flooding/ice jams 5 years ago. There use to be some holes that seemed to have got filled in. I remember going out and catching 30 bass in a couple hours now it’s like 5. 

Yes, I've heard the ice jam theory as well and it does make sense.That doesn't explain how it dropped off north of Paris in Glenmorris unless they had the same winter freeze up, after all it is a very shallow river.I think it was tremendous fishing pressure as well as right about that time it exploded with guys kayak fishing those stretches..If you think C&R guarantees no fish kill, well I know I've released some bleeders..I'm sure there is fish mortality no matter what.Also my suspicion is some don't follow rules in the C&R zone...I remember almost getting fined by a CO back in the 90's for a barbed Woolly Bugger!! I haven't seen a CO in years...Also I wonder what impact all those watercraft from the Grand river rafting company have..Hundreds of people doing a float in one day..Never mind all the kayaks, rafts, those damn rubber ducky floaters would drive me crazy..I stopped fishing that circus act years ago..Its ok after labour day thou.I can find nice fish else where but its a lot more work now..